• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Survival Jeep Project - Help needed

HKMurkure

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
154   0
Reaction score
I have a blank canvas, my 1978 Jeep CJ7. Currently in storage with AMC 350 crate engine and an old 3 gear transmission. Vehicle has not run well in many, many years. I am looking into gutting the entire jeep, frame-off and building an SHTF/Minimal Electronics vehicle. Is there any Jeep guys in the Northern half of GA who could do the work on this project vehicle? In the event of a Solar Flare or other atmospheric disturbance, which would disrupt modern electronics, I would like to know that I could drive this Jeep as long as their is acceptable fuel, etc.

My goal is to build this Jeep without modern electronics and have a fun vehicle too. Not going rock-crawling, but cruising around in some dirt and occasional mud. Ability to drive over curbs at a reasonably slow speed and not destroy the suspension, etc.

Anyone know a guy?

I would but I’m a cripple at the moment. does It have points? If not, that’s what you need to go back too. Keep a few spairs. The 78 did not have too much else on it. I have no idea what you did to the 350 the original engine if it was a 258 was a damn tank

does It have points?
keith089 keith089 Thanks for responding, but I am unsure of what this means. Can you please elaborate?

Also, this Jeep came into my families hands in the early 90's with a blown engine, so we had to find replacements, etc. My father originally bought this for my older brother and it eventually ended up with me, after many customizations, etc. I want to put it back to it's original condition (minus modern electronics).

keith089 keith089 Thanks for responding, but I am unsure of what this means. Can you please elaborate?

Also, this Jeep came into my families hands in the early 90's with a blown engine, so we had to find replacements, etc. My father originally bought this for my older brother and it eventually ended up with me, after many customizations, etc. I want to put it back to it's original condition (minus modern electronics).
Inside the distributor cap. If they are there then you are good to go, otherwise that means you have a cpu controlling your ignition system.

ignition-system-points.gif

You're looking for the assembly holding B,C, & D.

Should be a 304 and t150 3 speed. 360 came in the dynamic autos and then AMC had a 401 on the j20s, I guess.

I had a 77 CJ7 with the 3 speed T150.
. A mechanical clutch instead of hydraulic. The story was that when the clutch went, guys swapped in the T258 or whatever 4 speed because the t150 clutch swap was a pain

I will have to check the distributer next time I pay my storage fees. The current transmission is automatic. My understanding is that it was one of the few automatics with A/C.

The swap was over 10 years ago, I am trying to remember. V8, 4 barrel holly carb. Gas gauge drops every time you step on the gas.
I am just not into cars, which is why I would think I would just start from scratch. The current engine is way to much for this jeep.

Back
Top Bottom