• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Show Off Your Mountain Bikes

New (to me) Intense Primer. One ride in and I’m loving being back on a full suspension bike.
374478C1-9CAD-4AD8-AFA5-3C2FF7487118.jpeg

I have a question for you mtn bikers. I raced mtn bikes in the late 80's-90's. I rode a Schwinn Homegrown that I still have, but needs work. I haven't ridden since around 2000 and I really want to get back into it.

What is a good bike for around $1000? Is that even enough for a recreational rider? Would I be better off rebuilding my Homegrown?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a question for you mtn bikers. I raced mtn bikes in the late 80's-90's. I rode a Schwinn Homegrown that I still have, but needs work. I haven't ridden since around 2000 and I really want to get back into it.

What is a good bike for around $1000? Is that even enough for a recreational rider? Would I be better off rebuilding my Homegrown?

Any help would be appreciated.

My son is just getting into MB. We just had Cartecay Bikes in Ellijay go through his Homegrown. We were very impressed with Cartecay and he's really enjoying the Homegrown.

My son is just getting into MB. We just had Cartecay Bikes in Ellijay go through his Homegrown. We were very impressed with Cartecay and he's really enjoying the Homegrown.

I thought I would sell it and put the money towards a new one. But when I went online, it seems that these are still good frames. I read about Homegrown only races out west. the bike shop I got it from and was sponsored by, is no longer in business and I have no idea where to start.

i will give Cartecay a call.

I thought I would sell it and put the money towards a new one. But when I went online, it seems that these are still good frames. I read about Homegrown only races out west. the bike shop I got it from and was sponsored by, is no longer in business and I have no idea where to start.

i will give Cartecay a call.

Cartecay is a great shop. Good guys there.

But, the geometry of the bikes has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Suspensions are very much improved. Head tube angles, wheel sizes, dropper posts, etc.

Because of the above, I decided to buy new instead of updating my Ellsworth or Santa Cruzes... i’m very happy I went with the newer geometry and suspension in the yeti.

New bikes, 27.5 or 29” wheels with dropper posts and better suspension designs will easily handle much more technical terrain than the older 26ers... not to mention the new xt brakes... super strong with 180mm rotors, one finger levers...

I also liked the ibis Ritmo alot.

I think if you’re going to ride it off road substantially, you’ll really like the more modern geometry of new bikes.

Back
Top Bottom