• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should I One Day, Donate Collection to the CMP

...It was explained that they have limited space and must have items which generate revenue otherwise the displays are moved to storage etc. So while your intensions might be wonderful it is unlikely to make it to museum without give away agreements and no rights.

This. Generally speaking when you give something to museum you're giving it to them to do anything they want with it, including turn it in at a gun buyback to get some Nike sneakers. Or the museum could just sell it on the free market and take the cash.

You could write up an agreement that says they cannot do these things,
but I'm not sure if any museum would accept a donation that came with such strings.

Unless it's a really rare piece that they would want to keep anyways, they probably wouldn't agree.

There are very few 'amateur' collections that are museum grade. In most cases they might be able to find one or maybe two examples worth keeping and the rest will be auctioned off to pay the bills.

That's OK though, just think of it as a nice cash donation.

There is a lot of good information, but it is a bit spread out. I have toyed with a book and have actually created an outline. Just need to find the motivation to move forward. Maybe if I did a couple paragraphs each day it wouldn't feel so daunting.

Art
Maybe you could do a quick article on each firearm and post here in the C&R forum. 20 guns, 20 articles, immortalized forever on the OTD.

I'm not leaving anything to anyone. Had considered at one time to donate everything to the NRA but that ship has left the port. I'll just let those alive to fight over my collection while I get a chuckle out of it all.

Back
Top Bottom