• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should I One Day, Donate Collection to the CMP

A couple of years ago my grandfather passed away leaving me and family guns with great patina. It was my grandfathers wishes that the guns be put in a museum. We tried in earnest to find a place to house and display them. We created a lease agreement that the guns would be displayed and not resold. After many conversations the museums didn't want any firearms without historical significance. So we tried explaining to them why they did have historical relevance. Their most common response was while they have historical significance to myself and my family, they often do not hold the same for the general public. It was explained that they have limited space and must have items which generate revenue otherwise the displays are moved to storage etc. So while your intensions might be wonderful it is unlikely to make it to museum without give away agreements and no rights. For non-firearms museums they also have significant liability if the firearms is stolen/lost etc. Moral of the story, sell them or give them away, they are likely to see more sun that way than a museum.

Believe I have 20 thus far. Still looking for a couple to complete the collection. Also have a Hoffer Thompson and Model 1885 Winder Musket, though that one is currently being auctioned to fund a new 1922. I will eventually add a Krag training rifle and an early Winchester Model 52 also.

Here are some of them. Each is a slightly different variant.
bsiFI3k.jpg

MocU736.jpg
WOW.................!

Had family members & friends who passed & the ones who made a plan beforehand worked out much better. Had uncles that served in WWII & Korea that passed theirs on to their kids before or made sure everyone knew who was getting what.

My neighbor though with home & hospice care & with people coming & going had two locked gun cabinets full that mysteriously disappeared over the two & half years he battled cancer. All that was left were his pistols in the safe. Even his bedside gun was gone & replaced with a revolver somehow his wife & son had never seen before.
SAD..........!

You should reach out to the Cody Firearms Museum if you have anything really interesting. They are probably one of the few firearms museums that keeps a working reference collection, and if they end up selling anything off it will be going to a worthy cause.

Back
Top Bottom