• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns vs. Clays, Oct. 23

2 years ago I went to Etowah Valley Sporting Clays, a few miles south of Dawsonville and about 10 miles north of Cumming.

That club was great for folks with home defense type shotguns, or beginners, because you could load your money onto a swipe card that you got at the pro shop, and then at the station where you wanted to shoot, you could program the machine to throw any bird from any direction --repeatedly if you like.

You could skip the hard shots and just do the easy shots over and over.

Etowah Valley Sporting Clays offers trap, skeet as well 4 options of Sporting Clays.

Green course, flat and level terrain, beginner/training level shots.

Red course, lot of hills, shooting from the valley, speciality targets, off trampoline, slow rabbit etc.. medium level shots.

Blue course, 14 station medium level, first 7 stations primarily open areas including shots out of the back of a pickup truck, 2nd 7 little more challenging lots of open out over valley shots.

White course, 14 station advanced, fast and distance shots, also a station out of a pickup truck.

As stated earlier, you pay in advance and get a card credited with the targets purchased and shoot whatever course and station you like, not including trap and skeet requires tokens.

Ok, so this thread has been open for a week and it looks like we've got nine people interested. I perceive the geographic preference to the north of ATL,
but a couple people are to the east, and one to the south.

I think The Etowah Valley sporting Clays Range is a good location and very easy to get to. I called and checked their availability on Saturdays-- late morning early afternoon. They have no conflicts (schedule tournaments were there expecting a big crowd ) for most dates.

BUT, they do have rules that restrict combat type shotguns. They want to see sporting-only shotguns with at least a 21 inch barrel length.
You can rent a gun from them if you don't have a suitable one of your own.

I am OK with that, but if anyone of us who are truly interested & is serious about attending this event wants to use their dedicated home defense shotgun to get more familiarity with it, more trigger time on it, I'll see if we can find another place that allows such guns.

From Etowah Valley Sporting Clays Rules // F.A.Q.

Are there any restrictions on what kind of shotgun I can bring?​

Yes. Shotguns have to have a barrel length of at least 21”.
(And nothing with a pistol grip, even if it has both a pistol grip and a full, fixed shoulder stock.)

Shotgun types that are NOT allowed are: Guns with a visible hammer,
Riot shotguns,
Street Sweepers,
Personal Defense Shotguns (guns with a pistol type grip)

& ABSOLUTELY NO HANDGUNS or RIFLES ARE ALLOWED ON THE PROPERTY.

Garland Mtn in Waleska is a no-go.

They require all shotguns to have at least 24 inch barrels; they say that helps ensure that the muzzle stays within the window frame of the shooting box for that station.

My favorite shotgun is a 20 gauge youth model with a 22 inch barrel.

(And they say nothing with a pistol grip is allowed, even if it has both a pistol grip and a full, fixed shoulder stock.)

Back
Top Bottom