• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotgun barrel length 26 vs 28 what's your thoughts

SNAKEBITE

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
36   0
Reaction score
If you had one shotgun for a do everything Hunting, I'm talking for Hunting, turkey,dove,duck exct!!!
What would you choose for the barrel length 26 or 28, is there that much of a difference really?

No real difference in shot performance, maybe 30-40fps....maybe. It has more to do with shotgun balance and feel. Some like longer barrels, some like shorter. Some say longer barrels swing better, others say shorter barrels are handier. Handle them, find the one you like and go with it.

It depends on your size, build, and what game you are hunting. Shorter barrels are better for flushing upland birds and skeet. Longer barrels are better for Trap, passing waterfoul, tower pheasant shoots, etc. 28" is a good compromise if you have to choose one length for what you have listed above and sporting clays, which can be any kind of presentation.

26” barrel is a little easier to swing than 28” for novice shooters and older shooters, in my opinion. With screw in Chokes they can be tuned to perform about the same.

I like 26 inch in auto and 28 over and under! Wife bought me a benelli super 90 with 24 inch barrel about 10’years ago and it works well for doves and crows and have turkey hunted with it as well ! Screw in chokes make all difference in the world!

Back
Top Bottom