• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shortening a maverick 88

good job i would say - if i was cutting one i would cut it to 20” just to be safe. You arent going to notice that much difference and you know it is legal. (That is until they decide to change the rules)
There are plenty websites that show how to properly measure a shotgun barrel. Their are zillions of 18 in barrels out there.
I cut mine pretty close to 18 3/4 due to the vent rib. I know it’s legal.

Attachments

• 5A129869-714B-4F5F-8BDC-96D658721462.jpeg
    5A129869-714B-4F5F-8BDC-96D658721462.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 16
There are plenty websites that show how to properly measure a shotgun barrel. Their are zillions of 18 in barrels out there.
I cut mine pretty close to 18 3/4 due to the vent rib. I know it’s legal.
Yep, I thought you done a fine job with the rib too. That is all a gunsmith would do. And keep your stuff a month and charge you more than you got in it.

You used to be able to buy factory replacement 18.5" barrels for under 120. With all that has been going on lately, all sold out, secondary market is over $200.

How can I aim the shotgun after I cut the barrel because there won’t be any brass BB sight at the end of the barrel anymore ?

Brownells sells kits which include a drill, tap and a threaded bead sight to replace. You may be able to salvage the original sight.

You used to be able to buy factory replacement 18.5" barrels for under 120. With all that has been going on lately, all sold out, secondary market is over $200.
Used to be able to buy the Mav 88 for about $250 new amd a 500 for about $375-400 New too

I used a hacksaw and file and polished up with a work sharp on this vent rib barrel. I added a hi viz sight. Not that difficult. Do not use a Raptor or any type pistol grip unless your a seasoned shooter. It’s fun and devastating but also a learning curve.
View attachment 2866821View attachment 2866822View attachment 2866823View attachment 2866832

Great... now I want to do this to my 28" vent ribbed. The only thing is I lose the ability to use chokes. Hows accuracy without a choke?

The choke in a shotgun barrel is just in the last 2-3-4 inches before the muzzle, most "chop jobs" remove all that so you have a straight cylinder bore, great for slugs and buckshot, OK for smaller shot sizes. Even with no choke, and at home defense distances, you get a very useful pattern. Maybe dinner plate size at 30 feet or so. You have to pattern your gun, every one is different and ammo differs too. I like #4 buckshot.

The choke in a shotgun barrel is just in the last 2-3-4 inches before the muzzle, most "chop jobs" remove all that so you have a straight cylinder bore, great for slugs and buckshot, OK for smaller shot sizes. Even with no choke, and at home defense distances, you get a very useful pattern. Maybe dinner plate size at 30 feet or so. You have to pattern your gun, every one is different and ammo differs too. I like #4 buckshot.

Thank you for the insight. I think I'm going to do it. I really like the look of the 18-ish" with the vented rib.

Back
Top Bottom