• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shorten SKS barrel

I did a home made paratrooper SKS project right after I joined here. A 16" barreled SKS is one of my favorite rifles. I did the old brass screw in a drill with valve grinding compound for the recrown. I ordered a new front sight base from a company called Prince 50. It looked kinda close to the original but not perfect. It's probably the best front sight solution though. It's held on by a tension screw on the bottom.

39E33EEC-EC4E-4EBF-8147-23D5B2DE579A.jpeg
You'll still need to crown the barrel if you want any semblance of accuracy.

Really?
I guess you've never seen old-school serious target rifles,
dedicated for just that purpose.

They have no, or essentially no, crown. They have a flat muzzle face and just a tiny amount of breaking the 90° edge where the bore meets the face of the muzzle. That chamfered area might only go back two thousandths of an inch.

The most accurate crown on a gun's muzzle is no crown at all-- but this is only true provided that you don't let the muzzle get damaged.

Really?
I guess you've never seen old-school serious target rifles, dedicated for just that purpose.

They have no, or essentially no, crown. A flat muzzle face and just a tiny amount of breaking the 90° edge where the bore meets the face of the muzzle. That chamfered area might only go back two thousandths of an inch.

The most accurate crown on a gun's muzzle is no crown at all-- but this is only true provided that you don't let the muzzle get damaged.

Good thing a hacksaw or whatever bubba process you're going to use won't leave any burs or ragged edges and cuts 90*.

Good thing a hacksaw or whatever bubba process you're going to use won't leave any burs or ragged edges and cuts 90*.

I said on page 1, "with a muzzle accessory on the end, I would not crown the barrel at all.
I would leave it perfectly square after cutting it and cleaning up any burrs or tool marks."

C368AED1-3C69-4190-BEB5-D51C85D43601.jpeg

This intentionally-rough and buggered up barrel chop job was tested at the range, and shot several groups under an inch at 100 yards.
The average for all groups fired out of this Bubba'd rifle was 1.01 MOA.

Attachments

• 8D408A31-37C5-4A03-8D91-F134C2F7EFD7.jpeg
    8D408A31-37C5-4A03-8D91-F134C2F7EFD7.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 10
Anyhow, keep in mind we're talking about an open sighted SKS carbine
with a factory wooden stock with a 12 inch length of pull,
and a 14" to 16 inch barrel.

It won't have a bipod; it'll never be shot from sandbags;
it won't wear a scope or any type of optics.
Do y'all really think a crown makes any difference under those circumstances ????

Back
Top Bottom