• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting the RBGC January Steel Challenge...

Also recommend steel challenge as a starting point.

No movement. Start from the low ready with a rimfire pistol.

Just make sure she’s pretty good with an 8” steel plate at 10-15 yards. Otherwise it could be frustrating. Most of the targets are larger, but some are that small.

The RBGC action pistol match is seemingly intended as a beginner match... but it was some of the most complicated courses of fire I’ve ever shot... and I’m a USPSA master shooter that shoots 20-30 USPSA club matches and year, plus half a dozen major matches.

I think the RBGC AP match directors have gotten a bit bored and strayed from the intent of the match (as I understand it to be).

WAY TOO COMPLICATED for a brand new shooter.

I would say Action Pistol would be a great first match. This was my first match and it’s the one I highly suggest for first timers. I would disagree with some and say it is probably the easiest match that has movement.

Your glock 44 will be fine, just make sure you have enough magazines to carry about 50 round per stage. You’ll need around 20-30 to finish each stage, but you’ll want extra in case you miss. This is particularly true on the steel targets.

Action pistol has one of the friendliest crews for beginners as it’s not really a competition, more a friendly shooting game. Folks will help you out and give guidance, even in the middle of a stage if you really need it. The courses of fire are laid out, so you don’t need to really think about the movement much.

once you’ve done a couple AP matches and get the bug, then I’d suggest moving to USPSA or IDPA matches. Those are much more competitive and you will learn tons on how to game and get faster.

We would be happy to have you come to the match, however there is no Action Pistol match in January. The weather is usually not very good so we have a Range Officer workshop in the conference room. The first match of 2021 will be in February. Your Glock 44 will be fine with any ammo you need to run in it. I would be sure to have at least 5 to 6 mags for it, the steel bay can be challenging.

The way to get sponsors for your application is to come and shoot a match. All the weekend matches are open to the general public, it is also a good time to come check out the club after the match. It is a requirement that the sponsors see you shoot, to be sure you are safe and willing to follow the rules. The club management calls the sponsors to verify they have shot with you. We do this to be as safe as possible. If anyone has any other questions I will be happy to answer them if I can. My name is John and I am the assistant match director for Action Pistol.

I'll echo everyone else and say that both the RBGC Action Pistol match and the Steel Challenge match are great places to start competition shooting. Both will help you get comfortable shooting under time pressure and familiarize yourself with range commands.

Steel Challenge will have a match on January 10th. Registration will open on Practiscore on December 27th.

https://practiscore.com/rbgc-steel-challenge-2021-1-10/register

Edited to add that you probably want to have a minimum of 5 mags for either match.

We would be happy to have you come to the match, however there is no Action Pistol match in January. The weather is usually not very good so we have a Range Officer workshop in the conference room. The first match of 2021 will be in February. Your Glock 44 will be fine with any ammo you need to run in it. I would be sure to have at least 5 to 6 mags for it, the steel bay can be challenging.

The way to get sponsors for your application is to come and shoot a match. All the weekend matches are open to the general public, it is also a good time to come check out the club after the match. It is a requirement that the sponsors see you shoot, to be sure you are safe and willing to follow the rules. The club management calls the sponsors to verify they have shot with you. We do this to be as safe as possible. If anyone has any other questions I will be happy to answer them if I can. My name is John and I am the assistant match director for Action Pistol.

Thank you sir

bv48deTsRaiElfDWJ61kYQ.jpg

Just setup these in my basement to attempt some sort of dry fire practice replicating a steel challenge...we shall see if it helps me any. I went to the range yesterday and put two smaller paper targets on the upper corners of a much larger paper target and practiced shooting and moving from one target to the other and back again, at a decent pace...about 12 yards out. While plenty of hits...lots of misses...I need some practice so I don't look like a total fool on 1/10/21.

Back
Top Bottom