• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting the RBGC January Steel Challenge...

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
I've never shot in any match...but thinking about giving it a go. I'd be shooting my wife's Glock 44 (.22lr). I want to go up and see the club, which I've never been too, and see if I want to join in the spring.

Little nervous...and not sure how fun it's going to be in January temps...but that's my plan as of now.

The website says "standard velocity" ammo only or "no magnum velocity". My wife Glock 44 will only run high velocity .22lr ammo consistently without jamming or stovepipes...are they saying I can't run that ammo at all? Seem with a .22lr round it wouldn't matter much whether it's standard or high velocity.

I've never shot in any match...but thinking about giving it a go. I'd be shooting my wife's Glock 44 (.22lr). I want to go up and see the club, which I've never been too, and see if I want to join in the spring.

Little nervous...and not sure how fun it's going to be in January temps...but that's my plan as of now.

The website says "standard velocity" ammo only or "no magnum velocity". My wife Glock 44 will only run high velocity .22lr ammo consistently without jamming or stovepipes...are they saying I can't run that ammo at all? Seem with a .22lr round it wouldn't matter much whether it's standard or high velocity.

I second what Mike said. Steel Challenge is the best way to get started in competition. http://www.rbgc.org/Steel Challenge/steel_challenge.htm

How does one go about getting sponsors to sign your application there? I live 45 min away and would love to join.

The best way is to come to the matches and meet some of the members. The steel challenge match, for example, usually has a dozen or more members in attendance. Same with the Action Pistol. If you come and are friendly and safe, I can guaranty you'll make some friends.

May I suggest an alternative? Steel Challenge.

First, it is a blast. You'll giggle after every run since it's like a carnival game.

Second, there is very little movement and odd positions. Basically stand and deliver. It's a good starting point to build up skills.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into reserving a spot for the January Steel Challenge on that Sunday.

Better have lots of spare mags, time will be of the essence, reloads and min of 30 rounds per stage, and 30 is if you have no misses, which can be made up with extra shots. Practice o paper plates at 12 yards/36 feet, till you an hit em with one shot each, then some bowling pin size targets, same drill. That will be the hardest targets in action pistol, unless the dreaded Texas Star is there, then another issue we won't address here. Its all in fun so go, hit what ya can and move on to the next one, you'll love it.

Better have lots of spare mags, time will be of the essence, reloads and min of 30 rounds per stage, and 30 is if you have no misses, which can be made up with extra shots. Practice o paper plates at 12 yards/36 feet, till you an hit em with one shot each, then some bowling pin size targets, same drill. That will be the hardest targets in action pistol, unless the dreaded Texas Star is there, then another issue we won't address here. Its all in fun so go, hit what ya can and move on to the next one, you'll love it.

Thanks for the tips. I was just about to ask about the varying distances and target sizes in the challenge. Is it all at that same 12 yard range?

Yep, however, the larger paper targets vary in distance from 3 up to 25 yards, these are usually regulation USPSA targets
41M9K0Hvz9L._AC_UL160_.jpg
METRIC-IN-791x1024.jpg

Back
Top Bottom