• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting range/property in the Silver Creek/Aragon/Rockmart area?

I assume there is no $ in running an outdoor range or more people would be doing it? Land in that part of Ga is not real expensive.
Bartow county is pretty expensive and desired, that property belonged to his Granddaddy & Grandmother and Father and Mother and all have passed on. It all was farmland back a few years back and some still is, but they are making it what folks want best I believe.

We in the shooting community need to do something to get more areas of the woods & fields set aside for shooting. Outdoors, rifle shooting, out to 200 yards. Combined with safe and quiet suppressed weapon and .22 rifle shooting for youth groups, Boy Scouts, 4H clubs, etc. Fun and not intimidating-- and not to loud to hear the coach / instructor talking.
I'd support counties having such a facility for use by their CIVILIAN, non-LEO, residents, or perhaps shared use with law enforcement agencies-- 3 days a week it's open to civvies, 3 days open to cops, and 1 day each week (some weekday, not a weekend) closed for maintenance / repairs.

If any landowner in that area, near Rockmart or Cedartown, is willing to let new friends shoot on his or her property, I'd volunteer to help clear a shooting lane, stack logs or sandbags for a backstop, build a target-holding wooden frame, etc. I'm not from the area, but I go out there a few times a year to ride bicycles on the Silver Comet Trail.

Polk County, encompassing both Rockmart and Cedartown, seems to not have any county ordinances about shooting or backyard, private firing ranges (not being operated as a business). They have ordinances against making your land a nuisance to your neighbors, making excessive noise, doing dangerous acts endanger other people or property, but none of those mention guns or shooting and it would be a stretch for cops or county officials to try to stretch them to cover shooting (or hunting), when the examples of prohibited conduct in those laws are very different situations.
This per a quick, 5-minute review of the Polk Co. codes and ordinances on MUNICODE.COM

Bartow Co is a PITA to open a public range in, due to the history between the country and Creekside Range. It was not amicable, to say the least, and Bartow enacted a lot of ordinances that make it difficult to open/operate a public range.

Back
Top Bottom