• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting on my Property in Powder Springs

state law says no shooting 50 yards from any public road.

I assume that means your firing line --not the path of your bullet or the backstop . However it is also illegal to fire at, or across, the road, I believe.

There is a new exception to the 50 yard rule for approved shooting ranges that your city or county government knows about and has allowed to operate under existing laws, ordinances, zoning regulations, etc.

State law does NOT preempt any local laws on this topic,
so local governments are allowed to ban or "reasonably restrict" the discharge of firearms.

Many cities and county governments have their published ordinances listed on a free service online called municode.

If you go searching for applicable local laws on this topic, don't just look for ordinances about shooting ranges or the discharge of firearms;
also look for noise ordinances and "land use" or "permitted use" restrictions.
Finally, see if there are any ordinances generally on the topic of
safety,
nuisance,
disorderly conduct,
or anything else that the local authorities might say could be triggered by the shooting range that bothers your neighbors or makes them feel unsafe.

PS- Make sure you have a safe backstop that will catch your bullets --all of your bullets, whether they hit the target directly, just graze the edge of the target, or whether they miss the target by a few feet.
If you think you could never ever miss a target by a few feet,
consider whether you will be the only person ever shooting there.

How about some friends, neighbors, children or grandchildren??
Could THEY miss not only your target, but whatever backstop you thought would catch the bullet?

I'm Not in a Subdivision Im on 2 acres's With 100 backed uo to my land

Check your county ordinances.
No matter how much land you are on, they state how many feet/yards you can be from another house.
Henry County is about to change the laws here and will screw up my backyard range.
There is 50 acres of land behind mine, but will not be able to get far enough away from other house in another direction.

Back
Top Bottom