• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Firearms on Property in Toccoa

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Fornicate around and findeth out.
439   1
Reaction score
Anyone here live in Toccoa and have any knowledge of if it is acceptable to shoot on your own property?

Referencing O.C.G.A. § 16-11-103 I see the following:
Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street
A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

The home and property we are scoping out is on approximately 9 acres.

Appreciate any and all input.

Typical rules are not near or across a road (yes people have done that), safe backstop with knowledge of what’s behind (think hill) and not within city limits…we’ve never had an issue if we followed all those rules and have been visited many time by LEO and DNR who have always be cordial

I shoot in Lavonia and I’m only on an acre. I only shoot .22 but still pretty loud. My neighbors never complain and I don’t complain when they shoot. No one really sits there and shoots more than a magazine though. Country folks are pretty tolerant of it but I’d still get to know the neighbors beforehand.

Anyone here live in Toccoa and have any knowledge of if it is acceptable to shoot on your own property?

Referencing O.C.G.A. § 16-11-103 I see the following:
Discharge of gun or pistol near public highway or street
A person is guilty of a misdemeanor when, without legal justification, he discharges a gun or pistol on or within 50 yards of a public highway or street.

The home and property we are scoping out is on approximately 9 acres.

Appreciate any and all input.
As long as you are outside city limits and 150' from buildings or roadways, you should be good to go. Toccoa is a pretty fun friendly area.

Is the property in incorporated Toccoa?
If so, no bueno.
From their muni code ..
Sec. 14-6. - Firearms; fireworks; discharging prohibited.
It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge firearms or guns, or to explode firecrackers or fireworks, anywhere in the city.

(Code 1985, § 10-1-5)

Back
Top Bottom