• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping a rifle

Kalei2418

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
52   0
Reaction score
I have a nephew who lives in Pennsylvania, and a friend who lives in Arkansas. Both own firearms, and I'd trust selling a rifle to either one.

I'm not planning on driving to either state, so I would be shipping it, if either one of them bought it. My questions come in how I go about this. I would find a FFL for sure, as I know I can't just throw it in a box and mail it.

Any sites or information that someone could point me in the direction of, that'd be great! Thanks!

As a private citizen, you can send it to the FFL of the buyers state and let the FFL complete the xfer.

Check and make sure that the FFL will accept guns from private sellers.

USPS will ship long guns, They don't have to go by commercial carrier.

If you don't have a suitable carton to ship, I've always been able to get a suitable surplus one from my LGS.

Agree with checking with the FFL to see if they will accept from private citizen.

Check and make sure that the FFL will accept guns from private sellers.

USPS will ship long guns, They don't have to go by commercial carrier.

If you don't have a suitable carton to ship, I've always been able to get a suitable surplus one from my LGS.

Per the USPS's own "Domestic Mail Manual" (DMM), a rifle (of normal length, not a SBR) can be shipped by a private person to an FFL dealership in any state.
However, the dealer may have a POLICY, their business choice, not to accept such a shipment from a non-FFL holder.

See DMM section 432.3
QUOTE:
  1. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
LINK:
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Per the USPS's own "Domestic Mail Manual" (DMM), a rifle (of normal length, not a SBR) can be shipped by a private person to an FFL dealership in any state.
However, the dealer may have a POLICY, their business choice, not to accept such a shipment from a non-FFL holder.

See DMM section 432.3
QUOTE:
  1. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
LINK:
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

If I were shipping a SBR or SAW, I'd break it down, ship the registered part (receiver, trigger group, whatever) to the FFL, and the other part, usually a barrel or barrel assembly directly to the purchaser as "parts"

Back
Top Bottom