• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shipping a gun?

PeachPirate

Bear Icon Supporter
Hunter
7   0
Reaction score
Im in GA and someone wants to buy a rifle of mine in FL and will give me his local FFL license, how do I go about shipping it? Do I have to have my local FFL ship it for me? Do I need to fill out forms? Is there a special shipping method?

You do not need to use a local FFL. You can ship your own gun to an FFL. The catch is that some FFLs will not accept guns shipped from individuals. This needs to be determined beforehand, and it is the buyer's responsibility to resolve the issue, i.e. pay your handling fees or find another Florida FFL.

A long gun can be shipped by ordinary mail through USPS, or through one of the common carriers. One of the advantages of using USPS is that you do not have to declare the contents. I'm not suggesting that you ship it ordinary mail, use one of the insured tracked classes. Registered mail is the safest way to ship anything, but a little pricey.

The commercial common carriers will require you to declare the contents. You may not be able to ship through a UPS store, you will have to determine that.

Also two footnotes,

You have the option to deliver the gun in person, or have someone deliver it for you.

Being as it's a long gun the transaction can be completed at a GA. FFL.

Bottom line is that as long as it's a long gun and you are shipping to an FFL, very little in the way of legalities involved,

Put it in a plain brown box. Put the FFL's address on it and take it to the post office. Easy peasy.

They'll ship it priority mail 2day with tracking. You can even add insurance if you want.

Back
Top Bottom