• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Serious accident at Road Atlanta, is there any way to find the status of someone you don't know?

I haven't been to R.A. in a looong time.
Not since the 'improvements' I've heard about.
Like the cut thru from 5 to the back straight,
adding a kink as back straight approaches
turn 11, think they refigued 11 which used to have
bridge over it into the unfield. Even the pits were
moved to opposite side of front straight iirc.
Still remember the two Jag V-12 (Group44 team?)
going down front straight about 30 yds apart.
Stereo V-12s a mighty sweet sound to behold.

God has tapped me on the shoulder many times before, especially with situations involving motorcycles and airplanes. To be honest I'm not sure how I'm still alive and that is the basis of my faith in God in the first place.

God tapped me on the shoulder once on the way to work early one morning. Along with the tap I HEARD a voice say CHANGE LANES. It was so clear that I changed lanes immediately. Precisely when I got just barely into the other lane I passed the remains of a huge dog or deer that had been splattered across the entire left lane. No telling how bad it would've been for me if I'd said "can you repeat that?"

Track day or racing? You can try the WERA forums to see if anyone posted about it, but if it was a trackday, it could have been someone new/not known in the paddock. Does the trackday org have a forum?

Glad you didn't target fixate on him, that can be a huge challenge, but in moments like that everything is like slow-mo and you have time to think. He must have high sided, easy spot to do it, and got a good smack coming down. Road Atl was always my favorite track.

It was a track day. Nothing about it on the forum. I asked around the paddock for information but nobody seemed to know anything. The general consensus seemed to be that it's just something that happens in this sport and that I shouldn't dwell on it.

Although I am relatively new to track days I have been riding for most of my life and I have learned the lessons about target fixation the hard way. Those lessons were painful at the time but they have kept me alive on the track.

I didn't see the accident but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. It was the first lap on one of the first sessions of the day. Cold tires, cold track surface. I don't remember exactly what kind of bike he was riding but there were a lot of guys in the novice group on liter bikes. When you have almost 200hp at the rear tire you had better know how to modulate the throttle or else something like this can happen.

And yeah Road Atlanta is awesome but it's also very unforgiving. Even the slow corners are about 60-70mph and about half the track is well over 100mph. It's absolutely exhilarating but there is very little room for error. I definitely felt a lot safer at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama.

And yeah Road Atlanta is awesome but it's also very unforgiving. Even the slow corners are about 60-70mph and about half the track is well over 100mph. It's absolutely exhilarating but there is very little room for error. I definitely felt a lot safer at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama.

Barber is tons of fun, but I always pushed it too hard there and ended up in the hospital a couple times from it. Broke my wrist so bad in the bama coaster, the ER doctor had no idea what to do with it, ended up with two surgeries from that one. Broke my azz in a fast high side in turn 12, didn't actually break anything, but was terribly sore for weeks. Barber would be my favorite track if it didn't treat me so bad. I got out of all of that when we started a family, but I miss the comradery in the pits! I get my fill these days by taking my kids for rides around the neighborhood or commuting when able. I look forward to getting back into it when my boys are grown.

Back
Top Bottom