• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Semper Fi Gun Training -Defensive Pistol I course review

Jack O A T

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
I got the opportunity to attend the Defensive Pistol I class at Semper Fi Gun Training in Alto (https://semperfiguntraining.com/) last week . I'd previously rented their range a couple times and they also hosted a rifle forum shoot we put together last fall, but this was my first chance to attend an instruction course.

I'll start by saying that I've had the benefit of some training in the past, but this course provided a much needed emphasis on fundamentals of grip, draw, sight picture, accuracy, stance, malfunction clearance, and reloading. I'm probably like a lot of people who have had bits of informal training here and there, which lead to an amalgam of techniques that did not always produce the desired result of quick hits on target. My first exposure to pistol shooting as a kid involved the "teacup" Weaver. I switched to Iso when I began shooting again as an adult as that was the common method of the day, at least in my circles. When transitioning into a fighting stance as is necessary for the type situations I feel it best to train for in my circumstance, e.i. personal/family protection, I found myself Weaver on bottom, Iso on top. That lead to less that accurate fire, especially at the longer distances as is captured so beautifully in my "Dueling Tree of Doom" video on YT.

I went into this class determined to, as much as possible, do it Semper Fi's way. They teach Modified Weaver, which I admit, was a struggle for me at first. It was a challenge to avoid charging both shoulders toward the target. After a little practice, it became much more natural and reminiscent of my beginnings. I am pleased with the results as I am much more confident in my ability to place good hits quickly, even at the longer of likely self defense scenario ranges. I'll continue the practice and I hope to be able to take the advanced courses as well.

I attended the second day of the class with the other two shooters who were pretty green in their pistol craft. I mention that because I was very impressed with the way they were able progress during the class. They went from "where do the bullets go?" to being able to safely and relatively quickly put good rounds on target from the holster in those two days. I think they also left with a good deal of confidence in their abilities and the benefits of practice as well. In my opinion, these new potential CCW's were also well served by Semper Fi's emphasis on knowing the condition of the gun through press check and mag inspection.

The bottom line is this. IMHO, if you haven't had specific training in the fundamentals of defensive pistol, you probably need it. If you are or have friends or loved ones who are new shooters, you definitely need it. There are lots of different ways to learn to shoot. You can go through a few thousand rounds of ammo at the range, be confounded as to why you aren't hitting, and then seek training. You can pick up bits and pieces here and there, only to have to unlearn them as they probably won't work together as a system. I think the best way would be to seek out quality instruction, get the immediate feedback, make the needed correction and know how to spend your practice time. If you are in or near the N GA area, you can get that from the guys at Semper Fi Gun Training in a safe environment and atmosphere that is conducive to learning. No yelling, no bravado, no intimidation, and with all techniques instructor-demonstrated and proven. On top of that, they are very nice guys and 2A advocates to the core!

Last edited:
Were all of the instructors Marines or something?
The Founder / President is Colonel USMCR Ret. and their range is built around a USMC theme. Their Precision Rifle instructor also happens to be USMC Scout/Sniper, now in a different uniform. Hope I said that right. LOL. Seriously, really nice gentlemen, all.

The Founder / President is Colonel USMCR Ret. and their range is built around a USMC theme. Their Precision Rifle instructor also happens to be USMC Scout/Sniper, now in a different uniform. Hope I said that right. LOL. Seriously, really nice gentlemen, all.
Right on.

I got the opportunity to attend the Defensive Pistol I class at Semper Fi Gun Training in Alto (https://semperfiguntraining.com/) last week . I'd previously rented their range a couple times and they also hosted a rifle forum shoot we put together last fall, but this was my first chance to attend an instruction course.

I'll start by saying that I've had the benefit of some training in the past, but this course provided a much needed emphasis on fundamentals of grip, draw, sight picture, accuracy, stance, malfunction clearance, and reloading. I'm probably like a lot of people who have had bits of informal training here and there, which lead to an amalgam of techniques that did not always produce the desired result of quick hits on target. My first exposure to pistol shooting as a kid involved the "teacup" Weaver. I switched to Iso when I began shooting again as an adult as that was the common method of the day, at least in my circles. When transitioning into a fighting stance as is necessary for the type situations I feel it best to train for in my circumstance, e.i. personal/family protection, I found myself Weaver on bottom, Iso on top. That lead to less that accurate fire, especially at the longer distances as is captured so beautifully in my "Dueling Tree of Doom" video on YT.

I went into this class determined to, as much as possible, do it Semper Fi's way. They teach Modified Weaver, which I admit, was a struggle for me at first. It was a challenge to avoid charging both shoulders toward the target. After a little practice, it became much more natural and reminiscent of my beginnings. I am pleased with the results as I am much more confident in my ability to place good hits quickly, even at the longer of likely self defense scenario ranges. I'll continue the practice and I hope to be able to take the advanced courses as well.

I attended the second day of the class with the other two shooters who were pretty green in their pistol craft. I mention that because I was very impressed with the way they were able progress during the class. They went from "where do the bullets go?" to being able to safely and relatively quickly put good rounds on target from the holster in those two days. I think they also left with a good deal of confidence in their abilities and the benefits of practice as well. In my opinion, these new potential CCW's were also well served by Semper Fi's emphasis on knowing the condition of the gun through press check and mag inspection.

The bottom line is this. IMHO, if you haven't had specific training in the fundamentals of defensive pistol, you probably need it. If you are or have friends or loved ones who are new shooters, you definitely need it. There are lots of different ways to learn to shoot. You can go through a few thousand rounds of ammo at the range, be confounded as to why you aren't hitting, and then seek training. You can pick up bits and pieces here and there, only to have to unlearn them as they probably won't work together as a system. I think the best way would be to seek out quality instruction, get the immediate feedback, make the needed correction and know how to spend your practice time. If you are in or near the N GA area, you can get that from the guys at Semper Fi Gun Training in a safe environment and atmosphere that is conducive to learning. No yelling, no bravado, no intimidation, and with all techniques instructor-demonstrated and proven. On top of that, they are very nice guys and 2A advocates to the core!

It's always beneficial to work on obtaining & maintaining fundamentals.

Question: Was the stance you referred to a "modified weaver" or "modified isosceles"?

From your description of both shoulders not being squared off to the primary target/ threat direction it sounds "Weaverish" but most every school I know teaches the modified isosceles as the basic stance.
Not being critical just curious.

It's always beneficial to work on obtaining & maintaining fundamentals.

Question: Was the stance you referred to a "modified weaver" or "modified isosceles"?

From your description of both shoulders not being squared off to the primary target/ threat direction it sounds "Weaverish" but most every school I know teaches the modified isosceles as the basic stance.
Not being critical just curious.
No "criticality" presumed. Lol.
From my understanding, the Modified Weaver, as taught by SFGT, differs from the MI in that, in MW, the shoulders are not square to the target. They are parallel with the hips, which are bladed to the target. Additionally, the support-arm elbow is dropped and pointing toward the support side foot. This naturally creates the push-pull tension on the back and front of the stocks, which may account for my improvement in accuracy. The MI is what I had attempted to shoot for a while before the SFGT class, which worked OK for fast, close shots. With the MW, I am hitting the "0" much more consistently. I haven't had a match since the instruction, so I am anxious to see how it translates to higher scores and faster times.

Well, I got to try out my new training this weekend. A lot of room left for improvement, no doubt, but accuracy is much improved over the course of a month with minimal dry practice and a little airsoft. The good thing about videoing these things is instantly seeing the areas that need work. One thing I totally spaced out on through the whole match is using my slidelock on the reloads. I did a pretty good job of working the trigger reset, but could use work on a more consistent trigger squeeze. I think the Modified Weaver stance definitely has the potential for being MY most successful approach.

This stage was pretty tough, but I wasn't too unhappy about the results. Range is about 10 yds. Par time is 4 sec to make 4 shots on each target (8rds total) from low ready. The Modified Weaver stance really helped keep rounds on target, especially when trying to race the end of the beep on T2. ;-)

Range is about 15 yds. 6-5-5 rd mags, shooting to slidelock. Only hits to brown are scored. Results were 9 hits. I fell back into ISO at the second position, which probably accounts for a few of the misses. More practice needed!

Back
Top Bottom