• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

selling/trading 80% lower guns

chucklenut

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
362   0
Reaction score
so, it seems like this is a no-no, but cant find any specific case law or rules against it; falls into murky territory of what is a gun builder and one who engages in it for profit?

either way im not buying a "custom glook" from some yahoo who built it, just curious about the legality of it (i have 2 and gonna get rid of 1, debating whether to just sell the slide and parts of the whole thing if legal)

so, it seems like this is a no-no, but cant find any specific case law or rules against it; falls into murky territory of what is a gun builder and one who engages in it for profit?

either way im not buying a "custom glook" from some yahoo who built it, just curious about the legality of it (i have 2 and gonna get rid of 1, debating whether to just sell the slide and parts of the whole thing if legal)

Not sure but I think once its completed its a firearm and cant be sold/ traded. Maybe unless its been sn and registered?

Of course who's gonna know you werent the one who built it?

Not sure but I think once its completed its a firearm and cant be sold/ traded. Maybe unless its been sn and registered?

true but i dont wanna list it on here with ATF douches watching all the time

i have seen 1 or 2 on here that were serialized and thats why i know it can be done

true but i dont wanna list it on here with ATF douches watching all the time

i have seen 1 or 2 on here that were serialized and thats why i know it can be done

There are several companies now making complete factory serialized "80%" lowers, but at that point they're not really 80% lowers they're just another firearm. The laws covering completed 80% firearms are a minefield that conflict with each other, which is why Okuma excluded them from sale/trade here.

There are several companies now making complete factory serialized "80%" lowers, but at that point they're not really 80% lowers they're just another firearm. The laws covering completed 80% firearms are a minefield that conflict with each other, which is why Okuma excluded them from sale/trade here.
well that answers one of my questions for sure, which is should i sell the whole thing on here lol

thanks!

That other thread, 6 pages long,
has no citations to any law, ATF letter, or court ruling,
on the topic of a private individual manufacturing a gun from an 80% lower for his or her own personal use, not intended to be sold for profit,
but then the person who built it does want to sell that gun.

I don't see anybody pointing to any law that says the individual can't sell that gun. Or that they have to put a serial number on it before selling it in a private party sale.

ATF says there is a rule about having to mark manufacturer's information and assign a serial number on a gun produced under the conditions of another law that explicitly only deals with federally licensed manufacturers. That means entities in the business of making guns.

(Let's assume, for the purposes of this thread, that the situation we're discussing cannot ever possibly be considered engaging in the business of manufacturing firearms. It's a once in a lifetime build. And the builder of this firearm kept it for a couple of years and shot several hundred rounds through it before selling it as a used gun from his personal collection.)

Back
Top Bottom