• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling firearm collection across state lines

GAGunguy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
260   1
Reaction score
I have a buddy that got a few guns when his father died. Most of them are not worth a lot and he is going to sell them to a friend locally in FL.

A couple of the guns may be worth enough that its worthwhile to list them. He doesn't have the time or patience to deal with it. He doesn't know anything about Gunbroker.

My question is: Can I list them on ODT and when it comes time to sell them bring them to a local GA FFL, do the transfer on a 4473 or does the owner have to do it? I've never sold anything at a FFL so I don't know the process. Does the owner have to sign anything during a sale?

Or can I list them on Gunbroker for him and then ship to the buyers FFL? Or does the owner have to do this from his home state?

Another option is for me to list them, and he keeps possession and ships the guns from FL when the sale is agreed upon. That seems like the most straightforward way to deal with this, but curious if there are other options.

He lives in FL, I obvious live in GA.

Any advice would be appreciated.

First you don't say whether the guns are long guns or handguns, different rules for each class.

Secondly you can deliver a gun to an FFL for transfer just like UPS, Fed Ex, the post office. This is where the type gun becomes relevant because a handgun can only be transferred at a FFL in the state of residence of the purchaser.

I have done no research on this, but I do not think it would be legal for a Georgia resident to become a sales agent for a Florida resident to arrange for the sale of a gun collection from Georgia.
I doubt the FFL here in Georgia that you might use for a second tier (subsequent) interstate transfer would consider you to be the transferor of the firearm in the first place. Your friend in Florida would be the real transferor. So he'd need to come up here and do the paperwork at the FFL's himself.

I have done no research on this, but I do not think it would be legal for a Georgia resident to become a sales agent for a Florida resident to arrange for the sale of a gun collection from Georgia.
I doubt the FFL here in Georgia that you might use for a second tier (subsequent) interstate transfer would consider you to be the transferor of the firearm in the first place. Your friend in Florida would be the real transferor. So he'd need to come up here and do the paperwork at the FFL's himself.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom