• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sell your AR you have been holding

My man PSA is the worst hit or miss manufacturer out there. They are ok for plinking or learning the platform, but a very long way from being top quality. Itll give bang, cycle and go bang again, hopefully. You work for PSA?
Replace psa with ak in this statement. Same argument as far as i can tell. If it functions and the owner is happy, who cares?

I have learned alot in this thread. Basically a Kia is just as good as a Mercedes. :)
Depends on what you are going for. I have had 2 mercedes, will not ever own another due to the terrible reliability and overall maintenance costs, but damn if they werent purty... after the mercedes problems I would give a kia a shot.

In some instances, they CAN be "the same".

That's why I made the bike analogy... On a wide open road with no cops, sure, the 200hp rocket will be faster. On a tight twisty road? Nope. In fact, the guy on the superbike might be schooled by the old guy on the 70hp motard...

It's better, in those situations where it excels at. If you are not in those situations, what does it matter? It's like sitting in bumper to bumper commuter traffic with a Nissan Sentra versus a Lambo... Neither one is "faster" in that situation...

Most of us are just commuters, on public roads, with speed limits... Having 700hp might be cool, but it probably doesn't get you to the Publix any faster... LOL
Bottom line : i will be glad to take all the FN factory builds & Colt builds, you wanna toss out and i will be glad to swap you for the PSA factory upper/lower combos they sell for < $500 a pair.
They are the same, they do the same job so why not ? :)

Bottom line : i will be glad to take all the FN factory builds & Colt builds, you wanna toss out and i will be glad to swap you for the PSA factory upper/lower combos they sell for < $500 a pair.
They are the same, they do the same job so why not ? :)

You are trying to be obtuse, I guess? There is a cost component in play as well. You get that, right?

For the average user who buys an AR15 for home protection, takes to the range 4 or 5 times a year... that $500 PSA or $800 Springfield Saint will serve them every bit as well as the $2500 high end model...

For those types of owners, they do in fact do the same job, and spending 5x as much, doesn't yield 5x the benefit. So paying 5x as much, probably doesn't make sense, does it?

So understanding that, why would someone go and spend 5x as much and then trade it to you for the PSA?

It's like you are trying to "win the internet debate", rather than actually be right.

You are trying to be obtuse, I guess? There is a cost component in play as well. You get that, right?

For the average user who buys an AR15 for home protection, takes to the range 4 or 5 times a year... that $500 PSA or $800 Springfield Saint will serve them every bit as well as the $2500 high end model...

For those types of owners, they do in fact do the same job, and spending 5x as much, doesn't yield 5x the benefit. So paying 5x as much, probably doesn't make sense, does it?

So understanding that, why would someone go and spend 5x as much and then trade it to you for the PSA?

It's like you are trying to "win the internet debate", rather than actually be right.

I keep stepping into it, but back when they had Shotgun News (now Firearm News) there was an article where they tested various lowers and put them into categories like cheapest and least reliable to most reliable. It was a three tiered category. Most tier two lowers all got their forgings from the same places (only a few companies turn out the forgings) so things we perceive as junk turned out to be decent at a lower price. Anderson was one of those. OTOH, Anderson has some cheap stuff in their lowers. Sooo... a lot of people build their own M4geries which consists of the cheapest manufacturers that put out the best parts. IN MY OPINION, that is the best way to go. If you build your own, you can fix your own regardless of what the government does in the future. You get to customize it the way you want, buying a part here or there as you go along.

You can buy a second tiered weapon like a S&W, Mossberg, Ruger, etc. (making sure that it is completely compatible with milspec parts.) It's a PITA to have a weapon that may have proprietary parts that you cannot replace if that company goes belly up, so make sure any factory weapon you buy is fully interchangeable with milspec. If you have a second tier weapon and want to gradually upgrade and / or customize, that is certainly an option.

One thing that baffles me is that if you want just a "plinking rifle", why not buy something like the S&W MP 22 and feed it 22LR and pretend it's the real deal?

Finally, you can spend $2000 on a rifle and end up with a tier two weapon with unnecessary junk on it OR you can get one of those top of the line rifles that exceed milspec standards (POF comes to mind.) It really depends upon what you're going to use a rifle for. Competition rifles cost more than self defense rifles and "plinking rifles" cost over two thirds of a SHTF rifle while offering only minimal quality for something you may have bought to defend your life with. Personally, I spent my life splitting the difference and got tier two weapons with the best features available: good quality upper and lower, top of the line barrel, bolt, and trigger group - then work on the other features a little at a time until I had what I wanted... but, the technology changes every 90 days and you get old. You just have to hit that point that says I bought the best I could afford for the intended purpose.

You need to have a clear idea of what you want and sellers should know what it is they're selling. The details and descriptions do matter.

I’ve read your other insane posts today. :) ;) But that above post is a pretty good one. Great summary on the needs vs wants and expectations of decent performing AR rifle. Spot on assessment I would dare say.

I’ve read your other insane posts today. :) ;) But that above post is a pretty good one. Great summary on the needs vs wants and expectations of decent performing AR rifle. Spot on assessment I would dare say.

For all the flaming that has occurred over my posts, I don't know what made that post any different. My original thread began as suggestions to sellers on how to sell their AR and the reasons for it.

Not to embarrass any poster, but let me copy and paste a couple of ads:

1) Item Description: Up for grabs is a barely used factory built PSA Freedom AR-15 with a bunch of upgrades (listed below). Only 100 rounds through it for zeroing and function checking, then cleaned and put away.

Upgrades
* BCMGunfighter Stock Mod 0 - $50
* Quad Rail (Can't remember brand, but it's super solid) - $30
* LaRue Tactical Rail Covers - $20
* Primary Arms SLx Advanced Red Dot (Lower 1/3) - $130
* Primary Arms 3x LER Magnifier Gen 4 - $100
* Primary Arms Flip to Side Magnifier Mount - $45
* Magpul MOE+ Pistol Grip - $25
* Vertical Grip - $25
* O-Light PL2 Valkrie (1200 Lumen) - $100

Total Upgrades: $525

Also Comes with 6 Mags (2 x 30 Round Magpul, 3 X 30 Round GI Mags, and 1 X 20 Round Magpul) +200 Rounds of ammo included.

PSA Freedom Rifle
Barrel:
Chrome Moly steel. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a carbine-length gas system. Barrel is is finished off with a standard handguard, F-Marked gas sight base, and A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. Uppers include forward assist and dust cover. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Bolt: Full-auto profile bolt carrier group. Shot-peened, mil-spec Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt. Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications, Fastened with Grade 8 screws, and Staked Per Mil-Spec. 8620 steel M-16 profile carrier is chrome lined and phosphate coated.

Lower: These forged lowers are quality made using 7075-T6 aluminum and are marked "MULTI" for caliber. Finish is hardcoat anodize.. Mil-spec diameter 7075-T6 buffer tube is hardcoat anodized, has 6 adjustment positions, is fitted with a PSA M4 Carbine Stock. The the fire control group is a PSA mil-spec finished, single-stage assembly.

2) Item Description: LWRC M6-SPR Piston 5.56 M4/AR-15

*** No Trades ***

Great lightweight AR platform
Piston Driven
Magpul Hardware (Miad Grip, ACS Stock, Magpul Angled Foregrip)
LWRC flip-up BUIS
Tactical Link B.A.D. lever installed
AAC Flash Suppresor

Also includes:
Tactical Link single-point sling
2 Magpul 30rd mags with windows
Case

Can you guess which one carries a $2000 price tag? Which one is not fully described for a potential buyer. Here is an example of being told of what you're getting:

Item Description: M&P Sport 2
Vg6 Epsilon Muzzle Break
Vg6 CAGE Device
BCM 1/7 Cold Hammer Forged Barrel
BCM Low Profile Gasblock
F4 Defense Handguard
SRC Reliabolt BCG
Lunar Concepts Sling
EoTech 1-6x w/box and docs
EoTech 30mm Mount

Now here is an actual ad:

Item Description: BCM Jack Carbine

All of these descriptive ads were gleaned from ODT. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to buy or not buy. The better you describe what you have and the features, the more likely you are to find a potential buyer. The only criticism I have of the sellers is not saying whether or not a barrel is chrome lined. Except for that last description.

Back
Top Bottom