• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Self defense education and training for woman

Soul

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
Vehicle / Equipment Dealer
42   0
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place but I'm at my wits end.

I have a background in the military and have spent many years training professionally and recreationally with many different weapons platforms and exercises that would help tremendously under real conditions. Outside of that; I've grown up in a rough environment and have been in many fights both on the winning and losing sides. I've grown up with an understanding that the world is not a gentle place and have gained an appreciation with how safe the West is comparably to the rest of the world. I also have an understanding as to how quickly things can go from normal to deadly for no real reason because random violence is something that exists in this world.

I have a partner who I have a infant child with that has none of these experiences. She's grown up in a sheltered environment and has never been exposed to how fast things can get ugly. As a result she's grown a very warped view of how safe society actually is and is completely complacent in safety. There are times where I have to work overnight or out of state and I fear for the worst because she is completely incapable of defending herself or my child should the worst come to bear while I'm gone. Whenever I try to train her ; she dismisses everything I try to teach her and develops an attitude when I get frustrated with how she does not take anything I say or show her seriously.

I am beginning to be at my wits end with the situation. Honestly; this is a situation where I would leave a woman a long time ago if she simply is so stupid that she does not practice even basic gun safety or take it remotely seriously. However; I have a vested interest in my child's safety and want to make sure that if I'm not around that he will be safe.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a place where I can send her to get education on how reality works? Any self defense courses that will actually break her ignorant mentality and allow her to actually begin to see that even a rudimentary set of training can mean the difference between life or death. I don't need her to be an operator nor do I believe she would ever be capable of it due to the way her mentality is setup. But I would like her to actually understand that we are not invincible and that the world doesn't care for our lives when it comes down to it and that it's in our entire families best interest for her to have even a 10% understanding of what it means to defend yourself.

Thanks for reading.

Whenever I try to train her ; she dismisses everything I try to teach her and develops an attitude when I get frustrated with how she does not take anything I say or show her seriously.

This right here is the main issue. You are trying to train her in something she doesn't want to engage in. Stop that. It doesn't work.

There are several reputable trainers in the Atlanta area. Many are quite capable of understanding the differences of perception between women and men and have tailored their training specifically for that. In no order of precedence I'd reach out to;

First Person Safety

Sparrow Defense

The Complete Combatant

All three of these trainers are well versed in teaching women on their terms. I realize there are other trainers, some of who are ODT members but I have experience with these guys. Buy her a basic class, take the child for the day and stay out of her hair. Quit trying to beat her over the head with your knowledge, it really doesn't work. :)

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm at my wits end.

My wife lived a very sheltered and secure life as well. Her father realized before he passed that his wife and two daughters had no idea how to handle life changing situations, how many bad people are in the world, and how horrific things could become if you are not prepared. Before he passed in 2012 he asked if I would teach them what he kept from them. Just like you I knew that I was not going to get anywhere except pissed off, if I tried doing this myself. In November 2013, I signed my wife, her mom, and her sister up for a basic pistol training class at Atlanta Firearms Training. It was a two day class. My wife paid for a hotel room and they got to spend the weekend together. They took two of her fathers pistols and a few of my 9mm. Anyways, long story short: her mom and sister could not defend themselves today if they had too. My wife absolutely loved it. We signed up for more advanced classes in 2013, 2014, 2015 and have had a ball spending time together. We have our on gun range on our property, but cut back shooting this past year. The only downside is my ammo usage doubled and the space in my gun safe has shrunk.

It's been several years, but the instructors were top notch back then. I highly recommend Atlanta Firearms Training.

I have a background in the military and have spent many years training professionally and recreationally with many different weapons platforms and exercises that would help tremendously under real conditions. Outside of that; I've grown up in a rough environment and have been in many fights both on the winning and losing sides. I've grown up with an understanding that the world is not a gentle place and have gained an appreciation with how safe the West is comparably to the rest of the world. I also have an understanding as to how quickly things can go from normal to deadly for no real reason because random violence is something that exists in this world.

I have a partner who I have a infant child with that has none of these experiences. She's grown up in a sheltered environment and has never been exposed to how fast things can get ugly. As a result she's grown a very warped view of how safe society actually is and is completely complacent in safety. There are times where I have to work overnight or out of state and I fear for the worst because she is completely incapable of defending herself or my child should the worst come to bear while I'm gone. Whenever I try to train her ; she dismisses everything I try to teach her and develops an attitude when I get frustrated with how she does not take anything I say or show her seriously.

I am beginning to be at my wits end with the situation. Honestly; this is a situation where I would leave a woman a long time ago if she simply is so stupid that she does not practice even basic gun safety or take it remotely seriously. However; I have a vested interest in my child's safety and want to make sure that if I'm not around that he will be safe.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a place where I can send her to get education on how reality works? Any self defense courses that will actually break her ignorant mentality and allow her to actually begin to see that even a rudimentary set of training can mean the difference between life or death. I don't need her to be an operator nor do I believe she would ever be capable of it due to the way her mentality is setup. But I would like her to actually understand that we are not invincible and that the world doesn't care for our lives when it comes down to it and that it's in our entire families best interest for her to have even a 10% understanding of what it means to defend yourself.

Thanks for reading.

As "gun people" we tend to equate firearms and safety, but there's a lot more to it than that, and one can be achieved to a certain extent without the other, and firearms can actually be a hindrance if the proper mindset isn't present.

Perhaps a non-firearms-centric approach would be beneficial. For that, I recommend The Complete Combatant.

If she is willing to learn about firearms, and the three previously mentioned will fit the bill.

It doesn’t usually work for folks to train their partners. Myself and several other Instructors have an agreement where we train each others’ family members for free. Works better that way.

I always include a large dose of Combat Mindset in all my courses, which includes such topics as situational awareness, avoidance, etc.

I believe many of us struggle with this. For a long time my wife was completely disinterested in self defense type activities. She always complained when I brought a rifle, ammo, medical, emergency gear, etc on vacation. I would talk to her about bad things happening locally, "hey did you see where there was a home invasion next county over", "wow watch this shootout at a gas station in ATL!" just to expose her to these things being a real threat. We drive cross country to visit family in occasion and sometimes roll through some shady spots. All I can do is keep training and share that with her, as much as she is receptive to. She asked me to go with her to apply for her carry permit today...I was glad to do so.

It's a slow process, but your girl has to want to train. She has to have the right mindset or there's no point in her carrying a gun. If she isn't prepared to end a human life to protect herself and your child...a firearm won't do her any good. She's better off practicing running really quickly. Be the best defender you can be and be patient.

It doesn’t usually work for folks to train their partners. Myself and several other Instructors have an agreement where we train each others’ family members for free. Works better that way.

I always include a large dose of Combat Mindset in all my courses, which includes such topics as situational awareness, avoidance, etc.

cmshoot cmshoot is definitely on my recommended list of local trainers. I took an excellent rifle class with this gentleman a couple years back.

John Lovell is another great local trainer from all accounts, I plan to take at least one class with him in the near future.

My most recent class was a Force on Force (simunition rounds) class, The Fight, with Tactical Response in March. James Yeager also provides a wealth of training content for free on YouTube and his site libertv.com.

if you want to reach out to a sheriffs office around you they may have some of those womens classes as well. I have heard good reviews from some of them in the past. Wont be as good as some of the pro classes, but its a start.

Take her to Grady hospital any Friday night an let her watch man's inhumanity to each other roll through. If that does not show her what the world is really like, forget it.

Back
Top Bottom