• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SEC expansion

Because Texas and Oklahoma geographically screams south and east...

West
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Missouri
LSU
Ole Miss
Miss State
Arkansas

East
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky

That realignment makes sense. And now there will be 4 states with same state rivals...

I don't understand Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC. I'd like to see a worthwhile team getting added to the SEC East, but I was thinking more of Clemson or even UNC.
Nope. It's about TV markets. These two are stout teams in football but they bring the big Texas tv markets with them. That's why A&M will cry and pout about UT and no one will care.

As to Clemson, the SEC has the same tv markets CU would bring already sewn up. Besides, they are the 800 pound gorilla in a conference of football lightweights. No one in their right mind over there would even consider having to play UGA, Bama, Auburn or UF every year. One or three of these is gonna be good in any one year.

Just my $.02's worth...

The farm school from upstate Carolina would never want to leave A Cupcake Conference.

UNC is all about basketball, but I agree they're probably just where they want to be. I'd say the farm school in NC would be NCSU though which does seem like more of an ACC football program. SEC is getting pretty lopsided favoring the West of late. Lot of competition over there. East is just going to be Florida-Georgia forever.

IMO expanding with these two teams does 2 things.
1. It increases TV dollars drastically. SEC is gonna win every ratings battle for the rest of forever.
2. The Playoff is expanding to 12 teams. With the brand recognition of like 9 of these teams. The SEC is gonna get 4+ teams in every year on strength of schedule alone.

I'd add a #3....as it also devastates the Big 12 conference, which may force it to merge with another conference (Big10 or ACC) or face losing all of it's teams to other conferences.

#4. Makes ESPN a ton of money! Reports I heard said the network had been supportive of the move all along and perhaps suggesting and pushing it.

All about the money and TV revenue from mega contracts, since the campus locations don't make any sense for these two to join the SEC.

Will Notre Dame be forced to formally join the ACC now to keep up? Does the PAC12 expand too?

Back
Top Bottom