• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scratches on Bullet

Try seating them at 2.280. Also, measure a few that have been in the mag during firing, but not chambered to see if they are growing during recoil. Your neck tension may not be enough. The neck tension becomes inconsistent after several firings if you are not annealing. The crimp die can also cause a reduction in neck tension as it applies pressure on the case mouth. I find that the absence of a crimp is better than the Lee Factory Crimp Die on a bolt action rifle.

Looks like there is no crimp on these loads. Bullets could be jumping forward during recoil touching the lands. Is the bolt harder to close on these? Try loading 1 at a time to see if this helps.

I did use a light crimp on these. The bolt will not close on the ones with scratches. I haven't been able to get to the reloading bench or range lately, but I'll try some changes and report back on the results.

I did use a light crimp on these. The bolt will not close on the ones with scratches. I haven't been able to get to the reloading bench or range lately, but I'll try some changes and report back on the results.
check brass length..should be 2.48" ...have you trimmed brass before..brass is probably too long
edited after i saw it was 30-06 and not 308...

A puzzler. I'm shooting my Remington 700 in 30-06. Last time out I had a couple rounds the bolt would not close on. That had never happened before. I've had the rifle for 5 years. Before taking it out again, I cleaned the barrel for copper fouling with Boretech.

Today it happened again, three times in 20 shots. The bolt won't close, the bullet will not extract. I had to push a wooden dowel through the muzzle to punch the bullet back into the internal magazine.

Here are the known factors: Bad bullets are the same OAL as the ones that fire fine, 3.30". Same with the case length, 2.48". All bullets are handloads with SMK 168 gr and new or once fired Lapua brass. All once fired are full length sized with the same Lee dies I have always used. They all also have a light crimp with the Lee crimp die. The scratch marks are all the same distance above the case mouth, 0.15".

The scratches only appear on one part of the bullet, as shown in the close up photo. They do not go all the way around the circumference of the bullet.

Any ideas on the cause?
View attachment 2880599
Check your case Length against the specs. Probably the issue.

Back
Top Bottom