• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scopes

trw2094

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
20   0
Reaction score
ok guys , I would like to hear some input from those that have purchased scopes for a custom rifle.
this is the two I am looking at .
Nightforce SHV 5-25x56
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56

I have a number of Leupold VX-3 scopes that I like , what are your thoughts?
the rifle is a model 7 260 rem.
it will be used for hunting and some target shooting.
thanks,

No experience with ur 2 options.
I run a Swarovski 2.5 x 10 x 56 and love it.
My only advice... buy the absolute best you can afford. Do not go cheap on optics.

I really liked the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56. I'm totally satisfied with the scope.
It's low light capabilities are wonderful and love the clear glass. The power of 15 was sufficient to go up to 1000 yards.

I really liked the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56. I'm totally satisfied with the scope.
It's low light capabilities are wonderful and love the clear glass. The power of 15 was sufficient to go up to 1000 yards.
this is the one I am going with , it's going on a 260 rem. with a Hart barrel and B&C stock. Flat Line Customs in Vidalia is building it.

I just shot a highly customized Rem 700 with a $2000 Nightforce scope on it, and the scope's magnification was, I think, 3.5X to 15X. At 100 yards I liked setting it at 6X or 9X, but at 200 yards I felt most comfortable with it all the way up to 15 power. Based on that, I'd say that what I'd want for a "long range" rifle to use 600-1000 yards would have to go up to at least 20 power on the high end. Not to say that lower magnification is not suitable, or not useable, but to my eyes big magnification is IDEAL if you're trying to shoot sub-MOA at long distances.

Back
Top Bottom