• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

sciatic pain and IWB carry

I carry my sheild at the 4:00 position with a Bravo Concealment OWB holster. If I carry IWB I get pain all along my sciatic nerve. I know I need to lose weight to help with that issue which I am actively working on, but for the time being that's how I carry. Usually open carry, or with a light cover garment.

I will recommend appendix and someone will chime in you will shoot your privates off. Im going to recommend it anyway. I have found a JM kydex 2.5 on a wilderness belt feels great after wearing for a bit. You may have to adjust ride height up and down and the holster closer to middle and to side to find the sweet spot but its great. I moved my wallet to my front pocket and carry AIWB or pocket and my back doesnt hurt nearly as bad as it did. I admit I do carry a 26 but carry in a 19 holster. I find it super comfortable.

I'm pretty sure that the way I carry is exactly why I'm having the sciatic issue. Never have had an issue before and until yesterday when I put on my 19 I immediately felt the pain worsen and about drooped to the ground.

I can relate. I just returned from the chiropractor. Not sure there are any easy answers. Sometimes I can tolerate IWB at 8:00 (I'm left handed), but other times I can't even think about IWB. That's when I shift to OWB, Appendix, Pocket or Shoulder. With IWB I can't tolerate kydex. I'm much better off with a leather IWB option that spreads the weight. I'm a fan of the Brommeland IWB holster, but I also have a High Noon Double Jeopardy that's pretty comfortable and can even be shifted to appendix, although I've never done so. I also sometimes use a Smart Carry holster in lieu of traditional appendix, but wear it high so the butt of the gun is above the belt, however, due to the lack of a hard trigger guard I reserve that method for my P7. It's actually pretty comfortable, however, I don't think I would carry anything other than my P7 and perhaps a revolver or hammer fired DA/SA using that method. Striker fired pistols and to a lesser extent cock and locked 1911s give me the willies when carried appendix, particularly in anything that isn't firm like kydex or high quality leather. Of course others feel differently.

I will recommend appendix and someone will chime in you will shoot your privates off. Im going to recommend it anyway. I have found a JM kydex 2.5 on a wilderness belt feels great after wearing for a bit. You may have to adjust ride height up and down and the holster closer to middle and to side to find the sweet spot but its great. I moved my wallet to my front pocket and carry AIWB or pocket and my back doesnt hurt nearly as bad as it did. I admit I do carry a 26 but carry in a 19 holster. I find it super comfortable.
I appendix carry a shield .9 WITH a tlr6 in a “We The People” kydex. I love it. And I have a bit of a belly. But def more comfortable when I had less of one. But that’s the only way I CC.

Back
Top Bottom