• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School Me Please on Thermal vs IR

buttplate

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I know there are differences in cost and performance but I am not educated enough to know the major differences. I want to kill totes and pigs at night. I have a ton of pigs on camera at night. The totes are there but not on camera so much.

What are the price points for each that would be quality units?

I don’t have thermal the good stuff to high,I use class 3 nv which yo can get a scope and monocular for spotting for around 5 grand.

Thermal (infrared) senses change in temperature and can use in pitch black darkness.

Night vision (NVR) needs some light to illuminate the objective or target. I prefer thermal.

This is the kind of information I need. I am hearing $5K for quality NV scope. Is that accurate? I am sure there are different levels of both. I do not have the $$$$ to buy several until I find one that works well.

Just spoke to a friend and business associate who tells me I can buy thermal for under $1000. I am skeptical.

Thermal can see thru bushes and thin stuff better, picking up the heat signature and shape behind stuff whereas NV only sees what the eye would see.

Back
Top Bottom