• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me, I want a AK

There is a lot more to learn than can be explained in a short thread.
Everybody has their preferences off the bat.
I own several AKMs and AKs capabale of 1.5" groups at 100+ yards (100 meters).
My top favs:
Galil ACE
Vepr
Runners up: WBP ( a better gun than Arsenal IMHO), Saiga SGL, Arsenal, FB Radom, ZPAP, Mak90, WASR.
Stay away from Pioneer Arms (POS polish import), IO, DDI.

I know nothing about AK's except I decided I want one. Whats the difference in the various ones like AK vs AKM?
AK is a US misnomer for Kalashnikov pattern weapons.
AK47 is the original milled AK.
AKM is a stamped version of AK47. Both are chambered in 7.62x39.
AK74 is AKM in 5.45x39 (USSR's answer to 5.56, and a better round than 5 56).
These are the basics. PM me if you have questions.

AK is a US misnomer for Kalashnikov pattern weapons.
AK47 is the original milled AK.
AKM is a stamped version of AK47. Both are chambered in 7.62x39.
AK74 is AKM in 5.45x39 (USSR's answer to 5.56, and a better round than 5 56).
These the basics. PM me if you have questions.

This is the info I was looking for. I wish I would of purchased the SLR 107CR when it was available last year. As far as fitment of handguards, gas tubes, etc..., are they mostly interchangeable?

truth about AK's
they will always shoot...always
they will never shoot straight...never
when trying to hit a target it is always best to shoot in the other direction... I.E. target to the north,aim south..
:boink:

poly's are great.. just look at it close. many Ak's have the barrels riveted in crooked. try not to buy one sight unseen. you want be sorry,they are a lot of fun...
I'm confident that I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards with each shot on both of my aks. I don't understand why you'd need to be more accurate than that for a non purpose built gun. The barrels are pinned in, not riveted. This is fudd talk

This is the info I was looking for. I wish I would of purchased the SLR 107CR when it was available last year. As far as fitment of handguards, gas tubes, etc..., are they mostly interchangeable?
Yes, for the most part. Yugo handguard are longer, and folding stocks have different diameter pins, but for the most part, yes

Back
Top Bottom