• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scanners and such

What do you monitor and why? I'm setup to monitor local PD/Fire dispatch, FRS/GMRS & CB.

I find the local PD/Fire dispatch entertaining with the odd things that folks call 911 for.
Police, sheriffs, fire, ambulance, hospitals, airports. Cobb and Cherokee. Dobbins and Cobb International. I have a Radio Shack PRO-106 digital. Lets me know when my neighbors get out of line. Thanks.

I used an app a little while back and listened in to a few.

It gave me high blood pressure just like the news so I disabled the app.

My local wasn’t available on the app even though it was listed so it seemed like a bust anyways.

"Scanner Radio" on mobile if VERY useful if you tune the alerts. You can hear about things before they hit the news.

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU he's tech inclined so you could look at a Software Defined Radio. You'd need two USB SDR radios ($20-40 each), a suitable Raspberry Pi ($40-100 each with case, power, etc..), the right software and some time. I have an extra Raspberry Pi that I used for a media player for a bit, so I've been looking into that.

Software Defined Radio | RadioReference.com Forums

GeauxLSU GeauxLSU he's tech inclined so you could look at a Software Defined Radio. You'd need two USB SDR radios ($20-40 each), a suitable Raspberry Pi ($40-100 each with case, power, etc..), the right software and some time. I have an extra Raspberry Pi that I used for a media player for a bit, so I've been looking into that.

Software Defined Radio | RadioReference.com Forums
Yeah I think he already ordered (or has) one. Something with some streaming that he does. But I'll mention it. I don't know. I'm still back in CB radio technology.

"Seventy to eighty people in a cemetery having a fight" That's the kind of thing you don't expect to hear every day.

Yeah I think he already ordered (or has) one. Something with some streaming that he does. But I'll mention it. I don't know. I'm still back in CB radio technology.

So I picked up one of those SDRs. Didn't take but a few minutes to get it to receive FM broadcast on Windows 10. I'll play with getting it to do the scanner thing and working with a RaspberryPi when I have some time to tinker.

Back
Top Bottom