• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR specific rules

Technically you should be able to take the upper with you but the registered lower would have to stay at the dealer until your stamp arrives. You can't put a brace on the lower once it's registered as a SBR (short barreled rifle). Once it's a rifle it can't be a pistol ever again whether it was built as a rifle or you converted it to a rifle after your stamp came in. There are some grey areas if you're willing to risk the ATF thing but that's my understanding on the pistol/rifle/SBR stuff.

I quit registering for SBRs once I got tired of dealing with the forms for travelling out of state. Yes, you can submit in bulk and get approved for a year at a time per SBR but it's just a PITA and I don't need the ATF or any other agency knowing when or where I'm going. I just build pistols now that the braces are pretty much as good as a stock.

Why not just take a non sbr rifle with you?

Why not just take a non sbr rifle with you?
We have property in 2 other States that we go shoot/train/hunt on so I take several rifles to run during our time there depending on the reason we're there. Obviously, I wanted to be able to use the SBRs during those sessions also. Now I just leave the SBRs at home and take my AR pistols and standard ARs.

We have property in 2 other States that we go shoot/train/hunt on so I take several rifles to run during our time there depending on the reason we're there. Obviously, I wanted to be able to use the SBRs during those sessions also. Now I just leave the SBRs at home and take my AR pistols and standard ARs.

I can see that being a hassle if you are going out of state alot. I dont usually travel with my SBR's and really to hate the braces. Think they're pretty tacky....

IMO there is little comparison between the braces and a real deal SBR with a stock if you're running and gunning hard. The stock is just better all the way around but the brace are usable in most circumstances and get the job done so I deal with them.

Technically you should be able to take the upper with you but the registered lower would have to stay at the dealer until your stamp arrives. You can't put a brace on the lower once it's registered as a SBR (short barreled rifle). Once it's a rifle it can't be a pistol ever again whether it was built as a rifle or you converted it to a rifle after your stamp came in. There are some grey areas if you're willing to risk the ATF thing but that's my understanding on the pistol/rifle/SBR stuff.

I quit registering for SBRs once I got tired of dealing with the forms for travelling out of state. Yes, you can submit in bulk and get approved for a year at a time per SBR but it's just a PITA and I don't need the ATF or any other agency knowing when or where I'm going. I just build pistols now that the braces are pretty much as good as a stock.

I dont think you can take any part of it. The dealer must be able to show the weapon or the transfer form during an inspection. A receiver has the number, but is the the weapon.

I dont think you can take any part of it. The dealer must be able to show the weapon or the transfer form during an inspection. A receiver has the number, but is the the weapon.
Yup. I talked to my dealer and asked him these questions. He says the whole thing stays with him. I had a feeling that was the case but I wasn’t sure. I’ve never purchased a SBR like this before. I have always just created one.

Yup. I talked to my dealer and asked him these questions. He says the whole thing stays with him. I had a feeling that was the case but I wasn’t sure. I’ve never purchased a SBR like this before. I have always just created one.

One if my dealers was so anal they would not let me take the brake home from my suppressor to time it on the gun.

Back
Top Bottom