• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR specific rules

longfastglass

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
258   1
Reaction score
I need a little help your boys. I know that if I take one of my current SBR weapons and put a 16 inch barrel on it, it is no longer in SBR configuration. What if I buy a registered SBR that I have transferred to my SOT? Can I either put a brace on it or a 16” upper on it at the shop to take it out of SBR configuration and take it home?

If its already a registered SBR and not registered to you the shop wont let you have it till approved/registered to you anyways.

pretty sure, but im no ATF agent lol

Exactly. Shop would be in big trouble if the ATF found out that was the case. Now what some shops with a range will do is let you shoot the item while its in jail on that range. Not sure who is doing your transfer but maybe thats an option.

upload_2020-3-5_9-25-23.png

do it

Technically you should be able to take the upper with you but the registered lower would have to stay at the dealer until your stamp arrives. You can't put a brace on the lower once it's registered as a SBR (short barreled rifle). Once it's a rifle it can't be a pistol ever again whether it was built as a rifle or you converted it to a rifle after your stamp came in. There are some grey areas if you're willing to risk the ATF thing but that's my understanding on the pistol/rifle/SBR stuff.

I quit registering for SBRs once I got tired of dealing with the forms for travelling out of state. Yes, you can submit in bulk and get approved for a year at a time per SBR but it's just a PITA and I don't need the ATF or any other agency knowing when or where I'm going. I just build pistols now that the braces are pretty much as good as a stock.

Back
Top Bottom