• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SBR question

You can change to desired length. Notification of change is only requested. Lets say you have a braced 11.5 pistol and you form 1 it. You wouldnt have to notify to swap uppers, you would be requested too but not needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Does how a SBR is configured affect interstate travel issues? If its configured as a rifle is it legal to travel interstate without ATF permission?

Your biggest problem will be state laws.

I don't know about SBR but sawed off shotguns are banned by many states even if ATF registered.

There's actually paperwork you have to file if you leave the state. it has to be pre-approved supposably from the ATF. Can take up to 2 months.

If in SBR config you have to fill out a form 5320.20 https://www.atf.gov/file/11361/download which can be mailed, faxed or emailed. These usually take 30 days or so but can be setup and good for one year. I've never had one take 2 months but haven't submitted one recently (since first week of January) since I do them for one year, every year in January (may last 2 were at about a month but would need to go pull the forms to check) for the places I may go with my SBRs. The address needs to be specific. When I travel to Alabama, I submit two, one for my parents house where I stay and one for the range where I'll be shooting. That is overkill but safer than sorry. If you are in a non-SBR config, you don't need to notify as long you do not have an SBR upper in your possession. YMMV when playing with the BATFE.

Back
Top Bottom