• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Savage Axis .223.

Well, the rifle is a shooter, but the scope is a POS.

Shooting Hornady 55gr varmint loads the rifle is grouping between 0.5 MOA and 0.75 MOA. I'm convinced if I put a good scope on, it's a half minute rifle.....and that's amazing. DAMN YOU SAVAGE! I might be becoming a fan.

The scope has two major problems. At 18 power there is no head position anywhere near the center that gives you a good sight picture. It whites out pretty badly unless your looking at a slight downward angle into the scope, which means parallax is way of. But that's OK because it has a side parallax adjustment. Or it would be OK if the adjustment worked. That's the second problem. For zero parallax at 100 yards you have to bottom the adjustment out at infinity, so it's useless.

Would it be wrong to put a Nightforce on $240 rifle? LOL!

I replaced the POS Bushnell with a Nikon M-223 4x16 and it works great. The rifle shoots consistently between 0.5 and 0.6 MOA and I've only tried one factory loaded ammo. I use the Hornady 55 grain Varmint, which is the exact same thing as the 55 grain TAP load, which is exactly the same as the 55 grain Zombie load. LOL! They simply change the color of the case or polymer tip and charge more.

Anyway, this is the same load I use in my AR, so this works out great for ammo stockpiling. The trigger keeps getting better with break in, too. I recommend this rifle as a great budget shooter as long as you're willing to do a little trigger modification.

Back
Top Bottom