• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sat. 9-21: skeet shoot near Cumming

I think the type of shooting I'd be interested in would be SKEET (or something like that). That involves the clays coming from your left and right, at different angles. Some would be perpendicular, but others would be a quartering away angle. You shoot at 25 targets from one spot on the firing line, but the birds will be coming from either of two different clay-throwing machines.

Not TRAP, which has the clays starting in front of you and going basically straight away, fast.

As I understand it, the term "sporting clays" refers to a course over a substantial size area of ground where are you travel on foot or with a golf cart from one station to another and every station will have a different type of presentation. It mimics real hunting. Some birds (clays) will be coming towards you, some going away from you, and some at a perpendicular angle --crosswise.

A Sporting Clays course involves more traveling and more shooting-- maybe 100 rounds fired . Or 50 ...I'm not sure I've only done it once and that was about 10 years ago.

------------
So what I'm thinking of is a couple rounds of skeet, 25 shots per station, shot at two different stations so that each will throw the clays at a little different angle from what the other stations are set to do. There are several stations in a row, each only maybe 20 yards away from the other stations on each side. So it's easy to walk to a different station.

700094EB-10CB-4F9B-9612-EE8AC4D66E5A.jpeg
4380357F-FCBB-437E-AEF3-64615E1AAC9A.jpeg

I stopped by there yesterday, just for 15 minutes to look around and talk to the shop management. I didn't do any shooting.

I think the type of shooting I'd be interested in would be SKEET (or something like that). That involves the clays coming from your left and right, at different angles. Some would be perpendicular, but others would be a quartering away angle. You shoot at 25 targets from one spot on the firing line, but the birds will be coming from either of two different clay-throwing machines.

Not TRAP, which has the clays starting in front of you and going basically straight away, fast.

As I understand it, the term "sporting clays" refers to a course over a substantial size area of ground where are you travel on foot or with a golf cart from one station to another and every station will have a different type of presentation. It mimics real hunting. Some birds (clays) will be coming towards you, some going away from you, and some at a perpendicular angle --crosswise.

A Sporting Clays course involves more traveling and more shooting-- maybe 100 rounds fired . Or 50 ...I'm not sure I've only done it once and that was about 10 years ago.

------------
So what I'm thinking of is a couple rounds of skeet, 25 shots per station, shot at two different stations so that each will throw the clays at a little different angle from what the other stations are set to do. There are several stations in a row, each only maybe 20 yards away from the other stations on each side. So it's easy to walk to a different station.

I'm not sure that Richard Becker has a skeet range at Etowah.

I think what you are talking about is 5-stand, which is a compressed version of sporting clays, shot in an area that is comparable to a skeet field. There are 5 shooting stations, each shooter shoots 5 targets, then moves to the next station. No two set of 5 targets are the same, and as many as 10 traps can be involved.

In skeet you shoot that the same two targets, either as a single or a true pair. The trajectory of the targets is the same all the time,_(the pairs cross in the middle of the field) but the apparent lead changes as you move to 7 stations in a semicircle, and one in the middle.

Also, because there are fewer targets shot at each station, and because there is more movement between and around each station, a 25 target round of skeet takes about twice as long as a 25 target round of 5 stand.

For people who don't shoot a lot of clay targets, 5 stand is typically the more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom