• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Sand blasting stainless steel pistols

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
So finally got my sand blasting cabinet with HEPA filtration system. Yes, I also have a respirator to prevent inhalation of the silica. I used it for the first time with some fine mesh 70/80 grit sand to blast a cheap stainless pistol. I used 80 to 90 PSI with a medium ceramic nozzle. The finish is ok but I was hopeful that I could reproduce a satin stainless like on Kimber's 1911’s.

I’m thinking an initial light sand blast with the 70/80 grit mesh silica then using walnut hull media to smooth out the texture to more like the Kimber satin finish. Would I add a polish to the media? Any thoughts?

Here is a pic and if we have any sand blast gurus please speak up as I'm just starting out. Please give your thoughts on media, PSI selection, blasting gun nozzle size for a soft satin stainless. Remember my goal is to attempt to reproduce the Kimber satin stainless. Thanks for any assistance or guidance you may offer.

i51.tinypic.com_5d2umu.jpg

i52.tinypic.com_wu4iug.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Glass beads are the best media for a even matte finish on stainless. Start with a lower pressure, and stay a few inches away from the surface with your nozzle.

Back
Top Bottom