• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Salt Curing Meat

I know country ham is very salty.
Now that I'm old and got the beetus, I rarely eat salt cured anything anymore. If I do I soak it a bit to remove some of the salt. When I was young I didn't like it unless the amount of salt made my heart beat so hard I could hear it.

What you want is "pink curing salt" which goes by various names depending on vendor. They all usually have "#2" in the name. Then you mix it with ordinary salt to cure the meat. Most people use Kosher salt, I've even used livestock salt. Avoid table salt.

Get a good set of instructions on the right proportions. Good instructions will give the percentage plain salt and curing salt per pound of meat.

GET YOUR PERCENTAGES FRoM A RECOGNIZED SOURCE. UGA has some good online instructions. Too much or too little pink salt will kill you dead. There all sorts of shortcuts on the interwebs, some of them are downright dangerous. Stick with recognized sources, no matter how many time Bubba says he fed a little to the dog, and he was doing o.k

https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/lit_rev/cure_smoke_cure.html

oh BTW pink salt is hard to find it at retail. Pocoroba Sauasges in Lawrenceville used tp have it, but I don't know if it is even open any more. It's all exactly the same and the prices are all over the place. Flog the interwebs and see who can ship it to you for the least money.

You can cure with only salt or only salt and sugar, but that's an iffy proposition duting all but the coldest months in Georgia.

Back
Top Bottom