• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S&W Model 60

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
This is my first written review, ever, so bear with me as I have recently found some time on my hands.

As the title says I'm reviewing the Smith and Wesson model 60. The model 60 was produced in 1965 and I was one year old. Vietnam was in swing and the Christians without borders (U.S. Army Special Forces) were needing a backup gun for the sweaty, jungles of Asia. Their primary side arm choice was often a Browning High Power, 13 shot 9mm, while wearing a Rolex Sea master watch. Wind blowing hair, M-16 A1 in hand, High Power strapped to the side and the stainless model 60 doing a tour of duty hidden in the duty uniform for when all else failed or when capture was not a choice. The SF soldier went to work in the jungle and used the tools of his trade. Our Smith and Wesson couldn't make enough to supply the huge demand both domestic and abroad for this all stainless small feisty sidearm. Retail prices were a starting point and if you were willing to pay twice that for a used gun you could obtain one quicker.

Well my first hand experience of a model 60 was my father’s model 60. I'll never forget the sound of it going off in the house. Chill everyone, it was just a rat caught in a leg hold trap where the water pump was dug in at inside the house. He got him with the second shot but we were all deaf by the first shot (it took big eggs to fire that thing twice in the house-no ear plugs) but we were glad to be one rat less in the home.

My Dad bless his heart could take that 2" snub nose .38 spl and shoot beer cans at 75-100 yards. On a good day he could go almost 10/10. On a bad day 3-5/10. It was just amazing to watch and learn. He is older and his vision doesn't allow that anymore. You would have to divide the width of the front blade 4-6 times and have your skills in order.

I always wanted one (S&W Model 60) and while chatting it up in my local gun store a few years ago, I looked down and in awe asked is that a Smith model 60, "yes sir we just got it in". Mine! The one I have is an early model like my Dad's and has seen some carry use but not abuse.

The pros:
Small solid all stainless revolver
Decent caliber for close range
Never jams
Can be fired in a jacket
Strongly built
No MIM nor locks
Appreciates in value
Stock Smith triggers are some of the best and when breathed on by a good gunsmith are the cat's butt

The cons:
Heavy all steel construction-try jogging with it. Weights a light jacket too much
5 shots only!
Sights are small and sight radius is short (hard to shoot for accuracy)
Exposed hammer can get caught on clothing when drawing the gun
Original (.38 spl) hard to find and expensive when you do
Recoils a bit but not like a lightweight (aluminum) snubby

Here are some bones:

i53.tinypic.com_24bj7rs.jpg

i56.tinypic.com_vgo1hs.jpg

i41.tinypic.com_6st1ti.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_b3n1ow.jpg

Thanks for the kind reply JWC.

Last edited:
I have some nice Sambar Stag grips for a Model 60 and don't have one....I need to get one sometime this year!! Sweet looking Smith!!

chosinsteve132,

You will be pleased with the package. Solid steel and rock solid, it will give you and your descendants several lifetimes of enjoyment. If you find one for $400 or less buy it if it's not FUBAR. Cosmetics are easy, a light scrubbing with scotch brite will give a nice restored brushed stainless appearance.

Ramroddoc, Thanks for the nice report and kind words.
I did caution you not to tell the whole story of that long range shooting, as many would be skeptical at best. Shaes of Elmer Keith.
Thank again,
Dad

Back
Top Bottom