• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rub recipes

What type of meat? I have a few.

This is probably my favorite. Use it on Ribs:
Yield. is about 3 cups. I typically use about 1 tablespoon per side of a slab of St. Louis cut ribs, and a bit less for baby backs. Store the extra in a zipper bag or a glass jar with a tight lid.
Preparation time. 10 minutes to find everything and 5 minutes to dump them together.

Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Method
1) Mix the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl. If the sugar is lumpy, crumble the lumps by hand or on the side of the bowl with a fork. If you store the rub in a tight jar, you can keep it for months. If it clumps just chop it up, or if you wish, spread it on a baking sheet and put it in a 250°F oven for 15 minutes to drive off moisture. No hotter or the sugar can burn.

2) For most meats, sprinkle just enough on to color it. Not too thick, about 2 tablespoons per side of a large slab of St. Louis Cut ribs. For Memphis style ribs without a sauce, apply the rub thick enough to make a crunchy crust, about 3 tablespoons per side (remember to Skin 'n' Trim the back side). To prevent contaminating your rub with uncooked meat juices, spoon out the proper amount before you start and seal the bottle for future use. Keep your powder dry. To prevent cross-contamination, one hand sprinkles on the rub and the other hand does the rubbing. Don't put the hand that is rubbing into the powder. I've made some rub shakers out of 4oz baby food jars with holes drilled into the lids.

3) Massage the rub into the meat at least an hour before cooking. Two to three hours is better.

Last edited:
I rekkon some pork or chicken, maybe a brisket rub

Edited above with my favorite rib rub but it works great on pork as well. Let me dig up my chicken one. For Briskets, I don't get real fancy, Lawry Seasonings Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Celery Salt with maybe some cayenne for a little kick.

Here's more of an all-purpose that works really well on chicken. This makes about 1/4 cup which should be enough for about 8 large whole chickens

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley
2 tablespoons dried crushed sage
1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary
1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme
1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
1 tablespoon dried crushed basil
1 tablespoon dried crushed bay leaf
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon sugar

Dump it all in a blender, place lid on and blend on medium until for a few seconds. Continue until you have a powder. To use, lightly coat chicken with vegetable oil or EVOO and then liberally apply rub. Allow to sit for a few hours so that the oil can help the spices really permeate the meat. Sprinkle with some salt just prior to cooking.

Here is my Rib rub I have created over the years.... (7 1/2 lbs ribs)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 TBLSPN Black Pepper
1 TBLSPN Salt
1 TBLSPN Chili Powder
1 TBLSPN Garlic Powder
1 TBLSPN Onion Powder
1 tspn Cayenne
1 tspn Ground mustard
1 TBLSPN Ground Cummin
* Add or subtract cayenne for spiciness

Directions:
1) Combine seasonings in a bowl and mix well.
2) Rub over ribs (1 batch 7 1/2 lbs of ribs).
3) Wrap ribs with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
4) Smoke ribs for an hour... bone side down...
5) Pull ribs out of smoker... apply apple sauce to the top side of ribs.
6) Wrap ribs in aluminum foil.
7) Bake at 200 degrees
8) Ribs should be falling off the bones when finished..... Enjoy.....

* Apple sauce is necessary for feral hog ribs.....

Back
Top Bottom