• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rivnut Tool?

Rivnuts need two things to set properly. The set hole needs to be just small enough so that the ridges on the outside of the part that inserts into mount surface can have metal to bite up on and not spin during installation. The second thing is the part of getting the longitudinal pull on the collapsible part of the nut (which locks it to the mount surface). With a proper tool, the mandrel is first screwed into the rivenut far enough to bite up on the part that makes it collapse and THEN the handles use a straight longitudinal pulling force (without turning up on the threads). This pretty much stops the problem of the rivnut actually spinning in the mount surface while setting it. IMO, the tool should be used if at all possible - they aren't really that expensive. You can do it without the tool but you're depending much more on proper hole size and keeping the rivnut from spinning while you're pulling up using screw turning on the insert bolt.

It would appear so. Up until the other day, I didn't even know a "rivnut" existed.
Always heard them called “nutserts”

they also make them with a rubber washer and threads for fuel lines , , so you can add a return or vent line to the gas tank on old cars when you install fuel injection .

The Rivnut tool works just like a rivet gun, but instead of gripping the mandrel, it has a threaded insert that pulls/compresses the rivnut.

Bolt trick works excellent if you only have a few to install. You can get rivenuts of all shapes and sizes from McMaster-Carr, shipped to you door. If your dealing with very thin aluminium tubes, just be careful when drilling to size and use an external washer between the base metal and rivenut, this will support the fitting long term. Hopefully you receive the needed answers from the ODT community, good luck.

Duly noted. The tool would probably only last the length of time he needed it anyway.
I had a brand new 1/2" drive ratchet I bought from HF that snapped on the very first bolt I used it on causing me multiple fractures in my hand. Never bought another thing from them and never will.

There's another member here who bought an angle grinder from there and it caught fire the first day we used it.

I had a brand new 1/2" drive ratchet I bought from HF that snapped on the very first bolt I used it on causing me multiple fractures in my hand. Never bought another thing from them and never will.

There's another member here who bought an angle grinder from there and it caught fire the first day we used it.

I won't buy HF cheap crap tools.

Let me know if it doesn't work out. I have the tool and an assortment of nutserts. If you only need 2 that's no big deal. What I have learned is if you buy the tool don't buy the one that looks like a rivet gun, it sucks. Get the one that looks like bolt cutter handles with the screw thing on the end of it. You'll thank me later.

Back
Top Bottom