• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riverbend Gun Club RNG - May 29 - Canton GA

The biggest difference is carrying the 20-30lbs of gear that kicks your butt. The shooting part isn’t necessarily difficult until you have a 180-200 heart rate and are not thinking clearly as a result. Heck I’ve done a bunch of these. Only had 1 match I shot cleanly. Most folks will not be able to shoot it without a Dnf on at least 1 stage if not multiple stages.

The winner is rarely the fastest guy on the run, it’s the person that shoots the best and has a decent run time.

At this point, I'm just going for a finish and not dead last, lol!

I'm just glad you realized the superiority of the AR platform over the ole' Kalashnikov. ;)

I think the most superior aspect of an AR over an AK is in-line-axial-recoil. If you look at the AR, the entire recoil chain was designed to be straight in-line (no torque arm upwards or downwards). The AK, while arguably more tolerant to harsh conditions and working under extreme neglect isn't.

It’s a small world - I’ve read both of your pages - excellent write ups. I’m definitely holding back on any excessive gear purchases - just want to be prepared to finish.
My biggest weakness will be the longer shots- I rarely shoot over 100yards and never have longer than 300. Going to try and go to the CMP range or find some land to get a feel for 600 yards.
Speaking as someone who did the first RBGC RnG in 2018, I'd never shot over 100 yards prior to the competition. I was able to make the 600 yard hit with a 16" 5.56 AR and a Primary Arms 1-6x using the BDC reticle and a Grippod. It took a few rounds (I realize now that it was related to the angle of the shot and not needing 600yds worth of drop based on the angle) but I was able to clear the stage without timing out.

I'd recommend taking an Appleseed class to learn/practice the fundamentals of shooting and learn some awesome American history as well. Can't say too many good things about Appleseed...I picked up discounted tickets during their Christmas sale last year for myself and my two oldest children. :usa:

I think the most superior aspect of an AR over an AK is in-line-axial-recoil. If you look at the AR, the entire recoil chain was designed to be straight in-line (no torque arm upwards or downwards). The AK, while arguably more tolerant to harsh conditions and working under extreme neglect isn't.
For these RnGs I'd say the major factors are weight (mags, gun, and ammo) and bullet drop. Both of those factors heavily favor the AR15 in 5.56 over an AK in 7.62x39. My man bulletpaluza bulletpaluza tackled the 600 yd shot with an irons only AK in 2018.

I've been losing weight and running some. I'm going to check my schedule to see if I can get in on this. I've wanted to do one for a long time. My problem is I suck at rifle shooting and am decent at best with pistols.

For these RnGs I'd say the major factors are weight (mags, gun, and ammo) and bullet drop. Both of those factors heavily favor the AR15 in 5.56 over an AK in 7.62x39. My man bulletpaluza bulletpaluza tackled the 600 yd shot with an irons only AK in 2018.

You're talking long range. You can get the range in the desert, but not in a jungle or many other environments.....I was just talking about design methodology.

Back
Top Bottom