• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riding Mower Problem

Suck. Squeeze. Bang. Blow. The 4 parts to a 4 stroke engine. All you need is air, fuel and spark to make it happen. Find the missing link, and or links, and it's all down hill from there

Just kind of skimmed through the replies, but I don't think I saw a couple of things mentioned. Personal experience with both of these.
1 - Low oil sensor that won't allow the engine to start. Topped off oil and started.
2 - Vent hole on gas cap was clogged. Blew it out and it started right up.

It does have spark and I will check the kill switch later today when I get home. thank you.
Check the fuel pump. Pull the fuel line off the carb and see if fuel is pumping when you turn it over. The fuel pump should look like this:

uploadfromtaptalk1595398635400.jpg

It runs off engine vacuum, so if you have no fuel pumping when you turn the engine over, the fuel pump may be bad, or the vacuum hose that drives it is cracked or dry rotted. The fuel pump is included in the full tune up kit for this engine, so it's considered a maintenance item. While they do go bad, my guess is that the vacuum hose is your problem.

Check the fuel pump. Pull the fuel line off the carb and see if fuel is pumping when you turn it over. The fuel pump should look like this:

View attachment 2728044

It runs off engine vacuum, so if you have no fuel pumping when you turn the engine over, the fuel pump may be bad, or the vacuum hose that drives it is cracked or dry rotted. The fuel pump is included in the full tune up kit for this engine, so it's considered a maintenance item. While they do go bad, my guess is that the vacuum hose is your problem.
On a 17.5 this is what the setup should look like - the fuel pump and the vacuum line:

uploadfromtaptalk1595400140879.jpg

I know this is a little late but these engines will break push rods. One is aluminum and one is steel. Pull the valve cover and watch the rockers while you turn it. If it's broke replace it and watch a video on valve adjustment. There is a compression release on the cam so you'll have to get it just right to adjust them. If not it'll be hard for the starter to turn it. Head gaskets blow on these too but it should have smoked pretty bad had it been that. Good Luck.

Is the spark plug getting a spark?
Have you visually confirmed that by grounding the spark plug tip to some exposed metal part of the engine while you crank it or a friend cranks it for you?

If no spark, check the wires and contacts on the Kill switch that is attached to the seat-- the one that is supposed to automatically shut off the engine if you lift your body weight off the seat.
Very good advice....who knew a lawyer could be a mechanical troubleshooter?....

Back
Top Bottom