• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Riding Mower Problem

If it won't fire up for atleast a second with a squirt of starter fluid or gas either in the spark plug hole or down the throat of the carb then the spark plug is not firing or you have no compression. Pull the plug and ground it to the block while turning the engine over (dont hold it with your hand, you will get zapped) with the key and the parking brake engaged. If you can't visually see a spark then you have an electrical issue or a bad coil. If it sparks then do a compression check and let me know what you get.

Is the spark plug getting a spark?
Have you visually confirmed that by grounding the spark plug tip to some exposed metal part of the engine while you crank it or a friend cranks it for you?

If no spark, check the wires and contacts on the Kill switch that is attached to the seat-- the one that is supposed to automatically shut off the engine if you lift your body weight off the seat.
It does have spark and I will check the kill switch later today when I get home. thank you.

It won't be the seat sensor since when you aren't sitting in the seat the engine won't turn over at all. Could be dirt in the fuel line or bad fuel. If the mower (I have the same one) has set up with fuel in the tank it could easily go bad.
I will recheck the fuel and filter, although it is not that old. thanks.

If it is sparking but not doing anything when you spray some starter fluid or dribble a little gas down the intake then you have a compression or timing issue. Throw a new plug in it if you want to rule that out, but it should do something. The flywheel key is the only thing that times the ignition on these motors and unless something jammed up the motor and very abruptly stopped it from rotating or it experienced a good backfire then it is unlikely the flywheel key has sheared. Do a compression check. I have found many times that the valves have come out of adjustment as well on these. I would pop the valve cover off and check the valve lash.

Back
Top Bottom