• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rfle primers

truck56

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
41   0
Reaction score
I used to have a 257 Weatherby magnum.I bought 900 Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers for it.They were really cheap.Can these primers be used in regular calibers like 243 or 308? Whats the major difference between these and regular primers? Thanks for any info.

To the best of my knowledge the only difference between magnum primers and normal primers is the type of detonation. The reason people use magnum primers is to burn longer because most magnum cases are longer and contain more powder. A regular primer burns more quickly and may not take full advantage of the extra powder capacity of the case. In order to compensate for the slower burning magnum powders the magnum primer was invented to burn slower as well thereby buring all the powder. The magnum primers should be fine in your 243 or 308 I have used them before in each as well as a 7mm-08.

I think that you will find that the difference in a standard primer and a magnum primer is a hotter and somewhat longer burn.
The purpose generally of a magnum primer is to ignite hard to burn powders.
this can be either pitol or rifle ammunition.
as the difference in burn can be significant it is generally NOT reccomended to use magnum primers with all powders, only with powders that require magnum primers.
Loading manuals will always indicate when the need for a magnum primer exist.
you can get very erradict burn from powders that dio not require a magnum priomer and posisble over pressure spikes as well.
best to stick with what is reccomended.
hope this helps.

On caviot is to develop your load with the primers. Don't just use the primers with the same load data always start lower than max 15% lower. Because you can have pressure spikes with the Magnum primers. I have developed loads around the primers so if you start with these primers stay with them and if you change you will need to develop your load all over again starting at 15% below max. So if you feel confident in your load development skills then go for it. If not stick with manual but still start 15% below max. I used a ball powder for my load development (Win 748) if that helps you.

Yes you can use them, but never just "substitute" them. The magnum primers do supply a larger ignition and will affect pressures sometimes dramatically. If you do use them, start well below max and watch for signs of excessive pressures. There are those that will tell you they substitute this and that without any downside.

It just ain't worth it to me. As long as I have access to the proper type/temperature primers that's what I'm going to use.

As for the ball powder requiring magnum primers, if I ain't loading it in a magnum case I use standard WLR and CCI 200 primers with 748 and other spherical powders all the time. I follow the most up to date load data I can. Most manuals don't still list the use of magnum primers with ball type powders in non magnum applications.

I know many still use old manuals or at least data from an old one that calls for them, and if so always start well below max and work up your load.

The instruments used to measure pressures are much more sophisticated today than just a few years back. This makes keeping up with the latest data very important.

There's simply too much reliable data available from the bullet and powder manufacturers to rely on anything found here or any other forum. Check your manuals, follow them, then enjoy safely shooting and loading for a long time.

Chuck you are dead on. I have several old manuals that I use. I never said that ball powders "require" magnum primers. I said I develped loads around them. Don't you love how the loads have changed over the years. They used to be right at the max but I guess due to lawyers and liability they have reduced them significantly.

Last edited:
yes its best to use published data that is as current as possible!
its hard to understand how a group of scientist/chemist with Multi thousand dollar instruments and equipment can know LESS than i about what is safe and what is not.
but to each his own its thier weapons and thier hands,face, etc.
personally when an experinced professional employed chemist tells me its best to use these components and in these amounts, i believe them.
another fact in the equation besides the laibility factor (which is huge) is that powders and thier formulations change, especailly over extended periods of time.
This may account for some of the revisions in manuals.

mag primers do better in cold weather as well. try them both and see what works best for you. just start lower than book max as the mag primers will increase pressures.

A very good friend of mine had a custom 308 built, we started with Fed 215 magnum primers and had a load that would shoot a ragged 1 hole 3 shot group at 100y. He wouldn't be satisfied till we tried the Fed 210m, his load opened up to about the size of a half dollar, this was all with RL-15 powder. So to answer your ? yes you can use them, i use 215's in a 243 as well.

Back
Top Bottom