• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RFI Basic AR best bang for the buck

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I know now is not the time to buy an AR but, we recently moved to the country. In the past three months my son and I have shot 3 hogs. We have been using his 243. Well 243 ammo is sort of hard to find and 223 is plentiful so we have decided we may need an AR. Don't do the math we jokingly said it in front of my wife and she laughed and says makes sense to me. In reality my 10 year old thinks it would be cool so I figure why not.
I know nothing about AR's. What is the Glock 19 or 4" k frame of the AR world? I want reliable. I want fairly accurate since I want to be able to make humane kills and also want to be able to enjoy shooting. I see them listed here but dont know what Im looking at. I assume I want to be able to shoot 556 and 223. From what Ive read 556 is cheaper and 223 may be more accurate. What features are important? What do I look for? In the future I may take a class with it but for now its just a fun gun. Is this possible in todays market and climate in the $500 range? If not what should I budget?

Building from scratch or buying complete?
If buying complete, just stay away from any poly lowers and stick to common name brands.
If building, stick to a aluminum lower, decent quality bolt and barrel and you should be laying down hogs with ease.
I'd recommend a cheap dot and flip up sites if you are catching them on the move or a basic 3x9 scope if you're plugging them from a distance.

Enjoy the memories!! Your son will never forget.

Building from scratch or buying complete?
If buying complete, just stay away from any poly lowers and stick to common name brands.
If building, stick to a aluminum lower, decent quality bolt and barrel and you should be laying down hogs with ease.
I'd recommend a cheap dot and flip up sites if you are catching them on the move or a basic 3x9 scope if you're plugging them from a distance.

Enjoy the memories!! Your son will never forget.

Buying or building both are options. I have a neighbor who has built a few so if I got to a point he would be happy to help.

I know now is not the time to buy an AR but, we recently moved to the country. In the past three months my son and I have shot 3 hogs. We have been using his 243. Well 243 ammo is sort of hard to find and 223 is plentiful so we have decided we may need an AR. Don't do the math we jokingly said it in front of my wife and she laughed and says makes sense to me. In reality my 10 year old thinks it would be cool so I figure why not.
I know nothing about AR's. What is the Glock 19 or 4" k frame of the AR world? I want reliable. I want fairly accurate since I want to be able to make humane kills and also want to be able to enjoy shooting. I see them listed here but dont know what Im looking at. I assume I want to be able to shoot 556 and 223. From what Ive read 556 is cheaper and 223 may be more accurate. What features are important? What do I look for? In the future I may take a class with it but for now its just a fun gun. Is this possible in todays market and climate in the $500 range? If not what should I budget?
there are tons of companies out there that have good AR platforms. you really cant go wrong with any of the big name manufactures out there. If you can find one, you should be able to look on here, or gunbroker or some sites like that to poke around and find a decent one. your probably gonna spend about as much for the gun as you will for the optic you want to use. when you start throwing brand names around on a forum, you are going to get a lot of those who "prefer" one type or another. I would go to your local range and see if there are any you can rent first to see if you like them. you can always build you own if you want. the uppers are the only thing that really require some previous knowledge on building to get them right. the lowers are pretty easy to do. good luck! good job getting out there and getting some quality time with your boy. by the way there are tons of videos out there about 556/223 argument. the old saying is you can shoot a 223 in a 556 rifle but would not recommend shooting 556 in a 223 rifle due to primer/powder differences. a true 556 rifle firing pin can damage a 223 primer and cause chamber pressure leakage if your not careful from what I have been told by a primer engineer. im no gunsmith or engineer so I have to rely on what others tell me.

Then build one, the memories and fun levels are higher. If you build, you'll need to know what your final product will be so start with that.
Things to consider:
-free float handguard or fixed front sight?
-6 position stock or fixed
-red dot, iron sights, or scope.

If you need a breakdown of the buy list, let me know.

My 2 sons and I have assembled a half dozen of them. It was great father/son time. It really is pretty simple. Youtube has a ton of videos.

For a budget build, look at Palmetto State Armory. That's where we got all of our parts for the first one.

If you build, be careful, they become somewhat addicting...

The initial outlay for the tools to do it properly will be fairly steep depending on your starting point.

If you want a decent quality factory AR with a great warranty I would suggest the Ruger MPR. I think it fits the bill nicely for what you plan to do with it. Top it off with a decent scope, buy some mags, practice, practice, practice.

I don't hunt but I'm sure some hunters will be along to suggest some good hunting rounds for hogs.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom