• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

restore crushed shoulder on bottleneck case

Agape

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I am sure someone has the trick on how to restore the shoulder on a bottleneck case. Yes, I was not paying attention and crushed the shoulder on some 458 socom. At the cost of those cases, I would like to salvage them. Suggestions?

Generally, they are junk if crushed.

If it is a minor deformation, you might be able to shoot them back into shape if they will chamber. If you creased or folded the metal, it is junk.

Thanks. I guessed as much but one can always hope. I did not realize I had set the die too low until I collapsed the shoulder on a couple. 458 is some expensive brass.:(

The seating die directions will help you set it for crimping or for no crimp.

I like to roll crimp revolver rounds as I seat them in one single operation, but I would taper crimp the SoCom in a separate operation without the seating stem installed. You could load a them without a crimp, then put a crimp on them as separate operation.

Some cartridges are easy to crush. I crushed several 300BLK’s when I starts loading them.

I despise seating/crimping in one step. I learned on a progressive Dillon and separate seating and crimping steps in everything I can. When you do them together, you have too many adjustments that have to be in sync.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom