• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Repowering!

This is so frustrating. Got all excited that the weather was clearing this afternoon. Going to finally get it on the lake, but noooo, wind gusts up to 45mph.

Finally got it on the water yesterday! It is everything I was hoping for. Smooth power and a very stable ride. It doesn't whisper, but is much quieter than the two stroke was. I'm breaking it in right, so did a half hour at idle, 2.5 hours at 3000rpm and another hour at 4000rpm before I ever went full throttle. Top end is about 38mph in a bit of chop. I saw a lot of Lake Lanier yesterday.

Some info on the Stripers. Though I did not stop to fish, I saw several flocks of seagulls diving on bait on the main lake. That means there were schools of Stripers below the bait pushing it to the surface.

5E4C8611-F095-4C65-863A-A14535AE1D80.jpeg
65D877CE-CFDC-405C-AE08-4BCDEB27589A.jpeg
Finally got it on the water yesterday! It is everything I was hoping for. Smooth power and a very stable ride. It doesn't whisper, but is much quieter than the two stroke was. I'm breaking it in right, so did a half hour at idle, 2.5 hours at 3000rpm and another hour at 4000rpm before I ever went full throttle. Top end is about 38mph in a bit of chop. I saw a lot of Lake Lanier yesterday.

Some info on the Stripers. Though I did not stop to fish, I saw several flocks of seagulls diving on bait on the main lake. That means there were schools of Stripers below the bait pushing it to the surface.

Nice info....! Will have to meet up with you one day on the lake.
Test rode the 23' CC on Monday, took it home the same day.
200 hp Suzuki. Man, those motors have some POWER. And yes, quieter than the 2 smoke.

I was running under 4,000 rpm at 34 mph. Won't know top end for a little while.
I'm hoping upper 40's.

YES on the chop. Sunday was brutal with the Bass Tracker. Wind was 25 knots easy. White caps galore. Lots of spray...miserable.
Monday has some decent chop.

View attachment 3183302 View attachment 3183303

Nice info....! Will have to meet up with you one day on the lake.
Test rode the 23' CC on Monday, took it home the same day.
200 hp Suzuki. Man, those motors have some POWER. And yes, quieter than the 2 smoke.

I was running under 4,000 rpm at 34 mph. Won't know top end for a little while.
I'm hoping upper 40's.

YES on the chop. Sunday was brutal with the Bass Tracker. Wind was 25 knots easy. White caps galore. Lots of spray...miserable.
Monday has some decent chop.
How is that hull design on the chop. Looks like it's fast, but bumpy.

How is that hull design on the chop. Looks like it's fast, but bumpy.
much better than my flat bottom carolina skiff I traded.
Still feel chop, but definitely not like before.
I needed the room and stability. Looked at the Key West in the same length and it was much smaller inside. I'd have to go with a 25' or better to get the same room. And that is close to $100k.

-----
PS: and i've been learning that when there is chop at Lanier, either don't go or just stay in the coves. It's either too windy....OR.....too many idiots on the lake.

The other place we go is the gulf (protected inshore) Usually glass flat. If it isn't and it's choppy in the AM, it only gets worse in the afternoon. SO we just go to the beach instead.

This ain't no offshore boat....!

I don't have the guts to go offshore with one motor, so don't need a deep hull.

If I get brave enough, I will upgrade to a Key West in a couple/few years. Other than that, is what it is. For the money and resale, I couldn't beat it.

I needed the room and stability. Looked at the Key West in the same length and it was much smaller inside. I'd have to go with a 25' or better to get the same room. And that is close to $100k.

-----
PS: and i've been learning that when there is chop at Lanier, either don't go or just stay in the coves. It's either too windy....OR.....too many idiots on the lake.

The other place we go is the gulf (protected inshore) Usually glass flat. If it isn't and it's choppy in the AM, it only gets worse in the afternoon. SO we just go to the beach instead.

If I get brave enough, I will upgrade to a Key West in a couple/few years. Other than that, is what it is. For the money and resale, I couldn't beat it.
Yep, agree on all that. I got a deeper V because I know I'm going to want to do at least near shore sooner or later, but I definitely sacrificed speed and room to do it. It's all about the compromises to get as close as you can to what you want. The big selling point for me on this particular boat is that it's also designed to do flats to a reasonable degree. It only draws 18 inches fully loaded.

I look at Lanier as kind of a training ground when it's bad. The waves and chop can be nasty because it's so random. Years ago I almost got capsized twice in a 20 foot, flat bottom duck boat. I figure if I can learn to handle this boat on Lanier on a bad day, near shore is going to be well within my skill set as long as I don't get stupid about it.

^^^ no joke. lanier is stupid crazy with waves some days. No rhyme or reason.
I have seen six foot. Yes. Six foot rouge waves. Come completely over a pontoon boat and drench the entire boat. Yeah. It was my boat.
4th of July had a trolling motor break off from the insane chop. It was mounted on the deck.

Lanier can be worse than anything I’ve seen inshore on the gulf.
If it wasn’t so close to me is never go!

And exactly. All depends on what you use the boat for. Can’t have it all. We have a place at St Joe beach next to Mexico beach. Typically water is inches to about 30 feet in the main bay. I’d venture around San Blas If it was early and Super smooth. As soon as something changed I’d head back to shore. And I know things happen fast. Last time I did that with my flat bottom 19’ the weather station said 2-4’ seas. It was a slow 12 mph all the way trimmed up to get back. Long ride. I believe the tri hull and 4 extra feet is a little smoother and safer than the old boat. Doesn’t happen often so if I have a crappy ride twice a year, so be it.

Time shall tell.

-----

Shoot, I know guides that go out Perdido pass every day in that same boat. I take my little 178DLV out when it nice. I’d rather be in the gulf than Lanier any weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom