• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Repowering!

He said The Cut if you have a boat and be careful, also East end of Island was good and May he said is usually fantastic!
Why careful with The Cut? Bad tidal currents and standing waves? I've looked it over on maps and satellite. It looks good, but that was one of my concerns.

Yep, May for everything and early August for Tarpon.

Why careful with The Cut? Bad tidal currents and standing waves? I've looked it over on maps and satellite. It looks good, but that was one of my concerns.

Yep, May for everything and early August for Tarpon.

Current, I believe. Along with the weather. He said he’d seen folks in trouble quick.

Still don't have the boat, but that's partially my fault. They had a hell of a time finding one specific part to finish the repower and when I went to pick it up the person that did the test run mentioned that I should consider getting trim tabs eventually because it lists to port a bit when running. He didn't realize I had already been considering it, but decided to repower first and see if that effected it. Since it was still doing it I told them to go ahead and install the trim tabs and left the boat with them. It should be ready for pick up in the next couple of days.

We re-powered our Whaler last August, went from a 40 to a 50 4-stroke Suzuki. Wow, we use about 1/3 the amount of fuel and actually faster. It took me a few days to do the work, but I got it done.
It seems that Suzuki and Yamaha are the ones these days. For a long time all you heard about were Mercury. When I was researching this repower no one recommended Mercury over Suzuki or Yamaha. For me Suzuki wins because their warranty is twice as long as Yamaha's. Six years as compared to three years.

We did a bunch of research and Suzuki was it. I was always a Mercury guy. We powered everything with mercury, my dad's old back country skiffs were all powered by merc, and this was in the 60's. They never left him and a client stranded out in the back country.

Back
Top Bottom