• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Repair Guides....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I haven't bought a repair book in ages.

But I like to do as much to my cars myself as I can... I try to do all fluids, filters, brakes, and such. I'm not advanced enough to feel good pulling an engine out or doing a timing chain/belt. So, that's the experience/skill level I'm at....

I notice that places like AllData do individual subscriptions now (pretty pricey.) My last books have been Chilton, and I liked them.

I'm just wondering what folks use that they find helpful with DIY repair. I won't be rebuilding any engines or transmissions, or trying to flash any modules, but short of that, I'll give it a shot.

Any suggestions? Still like the printed stuff-or is there a more reasonable online reference I'm missing??

Thanks!

I agree with both of those answers. I've done stuff to my pickup that I never would have before youtube came along. Diagnosing also, just type in the 1st word of what the problem is on google and find out you're not alone with the same thing happening to plenty of others that got charged hundreds by the dealership, mostly for something where the part costs 20 bucks with 5 minutes of labor to install.

Youtube is awesome but you gotta watch many videos in one topic sometimes to get a good video that answers all your Q’s.

I usually use Hanes manuals .
Autozone carries them, most advance autos took them off the shelves cause they say people go online instead of buying manuals.
I prefer to have a manual.....in fact I had to buy another one today for my jeep cause I can’t seem to find my other one.

Usually I’ll print off supplemental diagrams and fuse box diagrams and put them in the manual if for some reason the manual doesent have the info.
Yes sometimes the manuals can be rather vague on some topics and very detailed about others.

I do like Chiltons manuals but they’re harder to find.

Generally I do like youtube, but for certain cars (my wife has a Cruze,) there are few videos. For some reason, there are practically none for her generation.

Plus, the manuals contain good stuff-like where the block drain plug for coolant is (if applicable) which seems to be something no one on youtube knows exists.

Some cars have a good selection of videos by people who know what they are doing. Lot of models just have a few real sketchy guys ****ing up some cars.

I prefer to just buy the factory manual and have it instead of the haines or similar ones. I have used those for older and simpler cars/trucks, but for my newer stuff a factory manual is must too me. They are pricey and harder to find now in the digital age, but worth it over the many years I own them and work on them. Helm has them for a lot of car makers...or check ebay for used ones.

Agree that youtube can be a good option also, but sometimes what they do is sketchy.

Back
Top Bottom