• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Removing Primers w/out a Press

PewPewChris

Default rank <2000 posts
SpaceWrangler
2   0
Reaction score
I saw all of these folks on YouTube using a socket and a primer removal tool, etc. I wanted to also remove the primers of my cartridges prior to wet tumbling. My quick and easy way of doing this was to simply get a towel the was folded up a few times...sit the cartridge down on the towel, line up the primer tool onto the primer and then take a rubber mallet and give the head of the primer tool a good wack or two, thus pushing the primer out of the cartridge. It seemed to work well...but now I'm second guessing myself as to whether that was "right" or "good" to do it that way.

Thoughts?

TeaRyZZ7R024ao4Rzsb0ag.jpg

My tools of choice...a 2-3 times folded old towel, a punch pin I found in all the stuff my father-in-law gave me and a rubber mallet. It seemed to work really well/smooth and I knocked out probably 200 rounds in a short period of time. I realize you don't "need" to remove primers prior to cleaning...but I'm anal about stuff...and had the time, and I'm learning...so, there you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Why can’t you do it in the press?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t have a press yet. I’m in the infancy stages of all of this...gathering components as they come. I just picked up a tumbler and have been collecting my .40 and .223 cartridges for some time, so I’m starting to prep them by removing the primers and cleaning the brass.

Back
Top Bottom