• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington metal finish repair

owen58

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
167   0
Reaction score
Hey, my first deer rifle was a Remington 760 from the early 1980s. Being quite young and not at all knowledgeable about gun care at the time, I did not do a good job taking care of the finish. There are couple of spots on the receiver and maybe a small spot or two on the barrel that look discolored/faded. From a distance, they're not very noticeable, but up close they bother me. I don't believe this is a blued finish. I think Remington had begun applying some other type of finish by the time this rifle was made. I'd like to return the rifle to its original, pristine, condition. Do any of you guys have personal experience having a gun refinished and the result of the job being perfect/near perfect?

The only way for it to look original and pristine is to have the entire rifle re-blued. I highly recommend Rebel’s Refinishing in FL, and Accurate Plating & Weaponry in AL.

For a local gunsmith that does bluing, contact Roy King in Adairsville. 770-773-3548

That are bluing touch-up products, like Brownell’s Oxpho-Blue, that you can use yourself.

Thanks a million! i tried a touch-up kit years ago and it seemed to have no impact whatsoever. That's part of why I think the original finish is something other than bluing. I know its probably not going to be cheap, but I really do want it back to like-new condition. I'll look into the providers you mentioned. I appreciate it.

Thanks a million! i tried a touch-up kit years ago and it seemed to have no impact whatsoever. That's part of why I think the original finish is something other than bluing. I know its probably not going to be cheap, but I really do want it back to like-new condition. I'll look into the providers you mentioned. I appreciate it.

The original is standard bluing. For best results with the Oxpho-Blue:

1. Degrease the area thoroughly. I use denatured alcohol.

2. Best the area well. I use a heat gun.

3. Apply Oxpho-Blue with a clean Q-Tip. I rub it in lightly, heat some more, and apply more Oxpho-Blue.

4. Allow to sit for a minute, then oil the area thoroughly.

I’m in Dallas GA, happy to touch it up for you for free.

Wow, thanks for the very generous offer! I do get up to the north Atl area now and then. I'll try to touch base with you before my next trip and maybe we can work something out.

Back
Top Bottom