• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Remington 1100LT 20 Mid Bead Size

n4rod

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
31   0
Reaction score
I bought a used Remington 1100LT 20 with a 28 inch vent rib, Remchoke barrel. The mid bead is missing. O.K., I'll be the first to admit I don't look at the beads at all. Always look at the target or the lead, so not having a mid bead is really no problem. But I'm an idealist when it comes to my guns. I want them complete.

I went on Brownells and they indicated a Remington mid bead size was 3x56. I ordered that bead from them. It was too big. Wouldn't even start in the threaded hole.

I went on Midwest Gun Works and they indicated a Remington mid bead size was 2.5x45. I ordered a bead from them in that size. Too big. Won't start in the threaded hole. They also stocked mid beads in 2.2x45 and 2x56 size, just indicating they fit a wide variety of shotguns.

In this photo, the 3x56 bead is on the left, and the 2.5x45 bead on the right. Couldn't get everything in real sharp focus with my point & shoot camera. But both beads are too big for the threaded hole.
MidBead.JPG

So before I start ordering all the sizes of mid beads I can find on the internet, does anyone know exactly what size mid bead is supposed to go in a Remington 1100LT 20? This is a field gun, not a target gun, so maybe it didn't come with a mid bead at all, and someone had one put in that wasn't a standard size. I don't have access to tiny taps, so can't run one in the threaded hole to see what size it is.

I thought finding a mid bead that would fit, so I could just screw it in and be done would be easy. Guess not.

Thanks for your time,
Rod

Order a tap and retap the hole to the size bead you have.

Or order all the sizes offered. No biggie.

Thanks for the link. That was becoming my next move. BUT....I located a local, full-time gunsmith, took the barrel to him. He used a 3x56 tap in the existing hole, and screwed in the 3x56 bead I bought off the internet earlier last week. He charged me $10. All done and nice and happy that my gun is back to the way it is supposed to be. Ready for opening of dove season in a little over 2 months!

Rod

Always good to support the local gunsmith. You are fortunate to have a good one in your area who does not mind the smaller work and is willing to install customer supplied parts.

I have shotguns with a mid bead and some without. My scores in Sporting Clays and my "bird to shell ratio" in the dove field seems to be about the same with or without the mid bead. However, from a psychological standpoint, staring at that hole in the rib while on the dove field would have been a distraction and well worth the $10 to repair properly ;-)

Back
Top Bottom